Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lwb 911r?

Lwb 911r?

Read a post on the bird site that got me thinking. Went back through some photos and Weird!

Here is a profile of FGs R and BNs R. Look at the T bar holes. THe BN R almost looks LWB. Any one with conjecture? It's more pronounced (better profile pic) in the latest Excellence article and appears to be the same on both sides.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Michael, visually I think that the Bill Noon/Excellence car looks like a SWB. The rear bumpers just extend too far forward for it to look normal as a LWB. I think it's just an anomaly that the torsion bar covers are further forward, but, could be wrong
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

Pure conjecture here, but many SWB race cars were converted to LWB to be more competitive back in the day. It would not surprise me to know that a 911R was thus converted.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I went back through all my pirated 911R pics and they all have the definitive SWB spacing. THats a cross section of 7 of the production Rs (not including this one) and two of the prototypes that I have pics of.

This stumps me though. Listed as the first production R finished in Nov. 67. If this was the back up car to the 24 hr record car are there any period photos that anyone knows of?

This car was reportedly used as a test bed by the factory. Then partially disassembled (how much?) then sold in 69. There is at least one other 68 that has been discussed as possibly being built LWB before the 69MY production began. Maybe this R retains some of the test bed modifications? It would be cool if the wheelbase was measured.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Michael...Funny you're bringing this up....

I was thinking the same thing a few weeks ago...the first (SWB) pic is from Frank's "R" (I think)...the two following from Bill Noon's prototype and the red car (Vin# 301524) is a very early car with LWB rearclip?...the rear wheels on the red car is not centered in the wheel-well but Bill's car is....the prototypes were made pretty much by hand...maybee they made the "body parts"with different dimensions for the T-bar cutout?...whadd'ya think?..../ Lars...
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Lars Wikblad...

Early 911 "S" Registry # 527
    "R" Gruppe # 314

So the excellence car looks like maybe a lwb rear clip AND rear suspension? How about that apparent cut just under the 'E' on the door? Did the car possibly have an 'off' early on and get rebuilt as a LWB?
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

Shape under the "E"

The joint under the "E" is the natural body panel joint between the rocker panel and the rear fender. It was not filled (with lead) for light weight on the R cars. That joint is leaded and finished on the production cars.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

There's a picture in the spread of the chasis number it satrts with 11*****
    wouldn't that make it a 68- car? I know 68 was the last of the SWB right?

Very cool!

So what's the story on the tbar covers then? Is there some missing 'R' history on this car regarding a change to lwb and, one would expect, factory backed racing?
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by larwik
    I was thinking the same thing a few weeks ago...the first (SWB) pic is from Frank's "R" (I think)...the two following from Bill Noon's prototype and the red car (Vin# 301524) is a very early car with LWB rearclip?...the rear wheels on the red car is not centered in the wheel-well but Bill's car is....the prototypes were made pretty much by hand...maybee they made the "body parts"with different dimensions for the T-bar cutout?...whadd'ya think?..../ Lars...
    The red car looks to me like rear LWB quarters while still retaining the SWB suspension. That gives the appearance of the wheels pushed forward in the well.

Since the wheels are centered in the well on Bill's car I'd think it almost has to have the LWB rear suspension. Otherwise it would mean moving the Torsion tubes forward? Inconceivable! Since it was known to be a factory mule and not sold until 69 then it is plausible. I just can't see it as being original to the 67 build when later 911Rs still retained the SWB suspension. Still, a measurement of the wheelbase...... Or the rear bumpers.....
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586