Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic 85l fuel tank

Plastic 85l fuel tank

Is there any fuel tank police around with you guys?

I drive a 73 Scpe #1254 and is has the later ('74 80L)steel fuel tank.
    All I hear and read is that a 73 S should have the same plastic 85L tank as the RS had in 73.
    the two upper threaded mounting holes are there, the single one in front of the tank is not there.
    Since the car had AC it seems also not possible to mount the plastic tank because off the front AC radiator.
    Does anyone of you guys have any ideas that a plastic tank and AC was ever delivered?
    Does anyone know that Porsche at the end of the 73 2.4S production used the new steel tanks already?
    I have most of the invoices on the car and i can't find anything on changing the fuel tank. All the rest of the car seems to be original exept the wheels (70version fuchs).
    I did a lot of effort on getting a cardex on my car, but Porsche Belgium is not willing to do this, so i wrote to Porsche. After 3 months i got a letter stating that since i was not German they could not do this for me because they had to much work with the German market and i needed to ask the Begian importer...

Thanks in advance

hgo

you are correct in that the S when equipped with a/c did not use the plastic tank. USA S's , Japan market S's did not have the plastic tank as well.
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2
    70 911 "Speedster" project
    "74 IROC" tribute Jade Green RSR

You should probably just sell it to me for like....$500........
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

My '73S had a plastic tank installed by the dealer when it was new. I bought the car in 1977. It had the inflatable spare and a neat little 12V compressor. The car has factory air and was also built with through the grill fog lights which the dealer coverted to driving lights.

Thanks for the response.

Billm, do oyu have any pictures on the configuration of the palstic tank and AC?
    I want to know how this is done with the mounting in front of the tank.

Anybody of you with a late Euro 73S to check if they used the plastic tanks up until the end of production?

hgo

HGO-
    The plastic tank developed a leak at the filler neck and was replaced by a later steel tank around 1990. I don't have any pictures of the original installation. I do remember that the tank brackets appeared to be home made. They were bent pieces of unpainted and unplated steel strap with some kind of hose slipped over the ends for cushioning against the plastic. The original steel tank brackets were in a small bag in the trunk. When the replacement steel tank was installed the conventional brackets were used.
    I don't understand the issue here. I could take some photos of the current tank if you think it would help. It looks to me to be a direct, drop-in replacement.

My Italian 73S # 912 has a plastic tank. I also have seen # 1050, and that was plastic. I am sure they didn't have the exact number of plastic tanks as matched production. Probably ended before production end. Keep in mind that ALL euro 911 cars had the plastic tank. That is to include T's and E's. I paid a visit to Alpina to buy some parts for my Euro BMW 323i that I bought new in 1982. About a mile from their shop, I spotted a crusy 73T. Poking around I noticed the plastic tank. Should have bought the car for the tank. Asking price was $1500 for the whole car.

Tank Repair

Rick and others,

I have been able to successfully repair damaged or cracked plastic fuel tanks.
    I do this with a process called plastic welding. This uses a compatable material that will not separate from the parent plastic.

Many of these tanks have cracks at the molded in bungs and are deemed unuseable. Lets save these tanks.

Chris O'Donnell

my Australian delivered E came with a plastic tank. it was a June 73 car #1306 (in the last 60 E's made) and according to its production number within the last 500 of all types of coupes made in 1973.

therefore i dont think they would have run out of plastic tanks before the end of the production for 1973.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

plastic fuel tank

my French delivered 73S #964 which was delivered in April 1973 came with a plastic 85 liter fuel tank. Glad it did because it loves fuel. Also, my car has no charcoal canister, so I'm smelling gas now and then. Wife loves that!
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST