Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: '64 911 (#1) on pelican

'64 911 (#1) on pelican

Am I being a pedant? For a car that special - why has it got the wrong door mirror and no rear badging?

Also - that's no period colour is it?

I need to get out more

Philip
    --
    1973 911 Carrera RS #496
    Early 911S Registry #1808

Well...that's two of us then. I just finished Pelican before switching over here. My excuse is that it's still only 6 degrees out (still, it's warmest we've been in over a week).

You're right...it looks like a large Durant...should be smaller. But I understand the color is one used on cars for the professor, and is correct. Of course, I also got sucked into the link in the original post calling the car a fraud...hadn't heard that before...

Quote Originally Posted by pmjt
    Am I being a pedant? For a car that special - why has it got the wrong door mirror and no rear badging?

Also - that's no period colour is it?

I need to get out more

Philip
    Roger
    68 Sand Beige 911 Coupe #11830091
    84 Moss Green 911 Carrera

If I remeber correctly this is chassis number 300049 and was retored by the Porsche factory. There is an open debate about the fact that the body was 'ringed' with another early body and Porsche transplanted the ('64 only) smooth rear cross member because the original body was so bad. The factory have obviously always denied this.

The paint code is 6401 Slate Grey but looks very dark in that guy's photo's. It doesn't look that dark in other pictures I've seen of it.

It wouldn't have had a slash cut 911 badge, non of the 232 cars have it. There won't be a 911 badge on the glovebox either. I'm told that the legality over the 901 number with Peugeot delayed the 911 badge manufacture, so that badging was only fitted from Jan 65.

The door mirror does look like a later one, and I'm also not sure if it should have any rocker trim either.

Smile 300 049

PMJT and others,
    to answer some of your questions about 300 049. The color in a metalic black with a gold flec. It was made for Ferry Porsche and his personal cars were painted that special color. (Bret Johnson noted while researching his book on 911's that the color was carried on the books for a number of years but no record of it being used on customer cars- it appears to be the same color as on his personal 928)

#300 049, 1st 911, 83rd car off the line. (Prior cars were 901's).
    Dr. Porsche - first owner
    The car was sold from the factory, 1966, to a US Army Intell officer Machem.
    3rd owner J.L.Hunt, letter from factory and kardex "Dr. Porsche's personal automobile" confirmed.
    Sold thru J. Meehan to R.Roland April 1980
    Sold to J. Sienfeld, factory complete restore to original condition. Exhibited at Monterey 1998.

Nope. The first cars did not have rear lid numbers or numbers on the dash. The number badges did not come into use until later in Jan 1965, and to distinguish from the 912 model. (Owners and/or dealers later installed lid or dash badges - for the same reason).

About that web site everyone just loves to point to:
    According to the guy in Holland, he saw car number 300 045's stripped body at the factory, asked about it, was rebuffed by factory workers for straying away from a tour groupe, was confrontational to workers at the factory, fumed about it on his return trip home, "got really pissed off" (his words) at the factory. Fired off a threatening letter to the factory. Received correspondence from the factory (which he would not share). Ramped up a story that car number 049 was a fake. And, has focused his hatred to anyone and everyone that has not responded to him in the "way" he wanted.

He has directed his venom to the Factory, car owners, folks who listened to his "story" and didn't respond "on his side", photographers, other car restorers -and on his vendetta web site where he focused his ranting to the owner of a famous car (because "Jerry or his representitive didn't return his messages" ie. hate mail). NOTE; according to the mad tourist - the "problem' car he saw at the factory was #45. The Seinfeld car is #49. Because both cars were at the factory and one was used as a parts car ..well you have read the site...how can you not agree with his wild accusations. (right up there with other National Inquirer trash).
    His rantings, distortions and accusations are becoming part of the urban fabric. It seems we can't talk about that fabulous car 300 049 without some snide comment germinating from that fabricated web site.

It's so sad.

Hope this answers your questions.

Bob Fleming
    Early 911 Porsche 232 Registry
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

so the red porsche that was in an article that i read, dont remenber, is that car number what, wich one is the very fisrt? jerrys, or the one that zeke mentions.

Which is the first one?

Platas, if your refering to the red car in the Peterson Museum collection, that would be car #300 020, it's a 901 car.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

early cars

There are a 2 prototypes and four car numbers that are accounted for that have lower serial numbers (2 are drivable) than the 300 020 car.

The car in front is the prototype 13327.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

early cars

The other is the prototype 13360. It is the mock-up Targa prototype.
    Look for Myron on this list and you can see more photos of it.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Well thanks for the info - I wasn't implying anything about it's provenence - just curious about the badging and large Durant.

These very first 911's seem to be a minefield for originality.

Philip
    --
    1973 911 Carrera RS #496
    Early 911S Registry #1808