Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lelouch's "C'était un rendez-vous"

Lelouch's "C'était un rendez-vous"

If you ever have a chance to see this short movie, don't miss it....9 minutes of driving a Ferrari (?) in the streets of Paris all out.... Very impressive footage

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Thumbs up

I have the DVD and it is fantastic! The French Police are still looking for the driver.......... Be shure to turn up the volume
    Ron

1973.5 911T
    1974 BMW R90/6
    1986 Carrera, Plan "B"
    1987 BMW K100RS Motorsport
    2004 BMW X3 6 speed manual transmisson

More than Original
    Check out this Google Map & Video Mash Up version.

http://bhendrix.com/wall/Gmaps_GVide...endezvous.html
    Bret Davis
    1968 911L

Rendevous is a MUST OWN ... or at least a MUST SEE. I've got my copy, do you have yours
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Actually it was a Mercedes-Benz 450SEL 6.9 driven by Lelouch himself, so the Ferrari soundtrack was dubbed. The M-B was chosen because of the softer suspension.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

the making of:
    http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...8&q=rendezvous

English translation:
    Lelouch quotes in french :
    *He himself was the driver along with two other passengers, a technician and the cameraman.
    "all 3 attached on seat belts like mad men".
    *Team had a small remote control for camera openings (lightning volume, focus was fixed on 12feet)
    *Idea of film was quite spontaneous and Lelouch's interest was to drive himself...no other pilot involved.
    *Only one take of trip and no second shots involved.

*Choice of Mercedes 450SEL : mainly for its hydropneumatic suspension ...Lelouch's personal car at that time. The camera image had to be very stable at high speed (over cobblestone) and so the 6.9l was the car of choice.
    *Dubbing sound of a Ferrari...car was driven later on same route to record shifting gears and motor sound. (tire sound probably dubbed separatly..)
    *He tells hitting 140km/h and at one time 200km/h (approx. 88mph, 125mph) and during the whole trip the car should never stop.

*Around Louvre/Rue de Rivoli (narrow underpass of a building, right after turning left ), Lelouch had a friend with a walkie-talkie watching for cross traffic...since there was no visibility when leaving that spot...but that w/t was not functioning...
    *car used VERY frequently its horns to alert.
    *close to the movie end, the car tries to turn to the right but there was a truck blocking the street..so back on going straight...with a detour for the driver and a time delay of its initial road map timing (10min only for camera roll)...last road was taken even its a one-way only..to be in time at its final destination at Sacre-Coeur church overlooking Paris.

*Principal idea for this film was to "tell a cinematic story", hence the meeting/Rendevous at the end.
    Lelouch: "a guy was taking risks to meet his girl and didn't want to let her wait".
    Last edited by 911T1971; 01-06-2011 at 12:11 PM.
    Registry member No.773

Lightbulb

Elfer and Karim THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!

I've been trying to figure this out since the first time I wactched it over 10 years ago......

I watched it with my French buddy Thierry (who knows every foot of those streets...AND is a hell'of'a driver) and we both thought there was something VERY fishy go'n on...

We always thought that the audio track never matched the motion of the car... and (even with the low camera angle) the relative speed of the car was MUCH slower then sound track 'made' you beleive...

Will be sending this link to Thierry in Florida...

This answered a very old question.... thanks again guys

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Red face damn....

Thank you...I was secretly hoping for an exotic Ferrari and Maurice Trintignant behind the wheel at 5 am doing it as a favour for his friend Lelouch.... By chance, it became the perfect ride.

I didn't expect an MB, fake sound, fake tire noise, 3 people, radio signals, preparations...etc... I'm glad I saw the moview without knowing...it kept the dream alive!

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Ya, that Ferrari soundid like it had a 62 speed gearbox and old Dunlops!
    Bernd Buschen
    R Gruppe # 357
    71' 914-6 Original Owner
    70' 914-6 GT Stoddard Built
    69' 911E Scott's car
    70' 914-6 Sold

Personally I like the driving scenes in the movie Ronin better.

Supposedly 80 cars were destroyed during the filming. I love the Audi A8 and that big 6.9 Mercedes flying through the streets of Nice. Jean-Pierre Jarier did some of the driving. The extra features on the DVD alone are worth the price.
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway