Thread: Comments on bodywork

Comments on bodywork

I am getting ready to make some changes to the appearance of my '70 911T very soon. The two options I have decided on are either:

Go with an R type front and rear bumper with a '67 style rear deck lid (with center support), or

Go with an S style front bumper with a duck. I have also decided that the bumpers, deck lid, and front hood will likely all be fiberglass.

I will be tracking the car some, not racing, just DE. I do want the feel of a track car, rather than a cushy street car. Oh, BTW, I am making some significant suspension and drivetrain improvements as well. I am curious how much more planted the car will be with the S front bumper and duck (top speed around 120 mph). Also, how much weight savings I may get by replacing each part with fiberglass. I am looking for any and all comments: including appearance, performance, strength, pretty much anything.

Edit: the car is mocha brown, narrow body, with flat sixes.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
    Elvis has left the building.

Scooter, I do more than 120 at Daytona with no aero aids

If I were to consider a ducktail, I'd get an RS front also. Not sure how much downforce you'll get but it will be more than without a tail at all.
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Mission Foods Porsche GT3 Cup USA Champion
    Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    Louis Chevrolet Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

Race cars and parts for sale; videos and photos at: www.alteregoracing.com

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." -Sir Winston Churchill

Scott,

I found that the aero aids help over about 125 MPH on a calm day…

The front S splitter helps a little in the higher MPH's… and together with the duck tail helps to settle the front of the car remarkably after 125 MPH….

What doesn't work at all (in all the books) is running a duck tail without the front splitter……… I've read the word 'undrivable' a couple of times…..

Tire and wheel combo preferences, and personal esthetics, usually govern a wide or narrow body configuration…

If you are going to max at 120 you can easily go with the stock narrow body configuration with not much drama…

My .02
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks Chuck and Juan. I like the look of both with and without the extra aero add ons, but I really want a stable car at high speeds. I remember driving my '84 with no chin spoiler and no wing...it was very floaty feeling in the front at 110 mph. I am wanting to "do it right" this time, but not sure if that requires the aero add ons. I do like the simple style of the R-type look, but just not sure if it will be planted at high speeds. I am thinking 120 mph max, but I may go faster, since I am moving up from my 2.4T engine to a pumped up 3.0, and not sure about gearing yet (7:31 or 8:31).
    Elvis has left the building.

Well you've gotten the expert track advice so i'll toss in a worthless opinion on looks. R all the way! LOVE the simple R look soooo much more than the RS rep look.

Dunno about how the mocha color works with this though.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!