Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Q: correct headlights for 67 911s?

Anthony West #1079

Q: correct headlights for 67 911s?

The car currently has H4s, but in Brett's book it says that H1 and H4 headlights were only used on later cars than the 67 911S. So what non-sealed beam headlights are correct for the car, and can I get halogen bulbs for these? Any pointers where I can buy these would also be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Headlights

Hi Anthony,
    We are at a disadvantage here in the US, out D.O.T. forced Porsche to install the Sealed beam headlights here. These have the SB19-SB20-SB21 markings on the clear glass covers.

The inner frame is similar (but no socket for the city lights) and that clear glass can be the same as a 356. (the real old 356 lens just had the SB19-SB20 markings). The major difference is the external lower chrome mouning tab on the 356 vs. the in-the-frame attachment screw on the 911.

Over the years the independent H4 bulb units have sneeked in and look very good - a euro look, but very good.

The sealed beams have a fluted lens as part of the bulb, with the clear outer lens. The euro units did not have a inner lens so they had just the outer fluted lenz.

Look up Illus. 9/6 in the old paper parts book, Group 9, 905 in the following PET to see the difference:
    https://techinfo.porsche.com/techinfo/index.jsp

Someone just passed that Official PET and Parts Manual along to me. Select you language then the approriate manual and pull up a pdf of almost every model Porsche made.

Some of the light/lens experts may have another answer.
    Hope this helps.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

I installed a period set of Cibie H4 halogen headlamps in my US assemblies (just like the ones sithot posted). They work really well. I think you can still buy the US assemblies at the Porsche parts counter.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

H4 Marchal Lights

Anthony
    here are some period Marchal inserts for the USA clear lens units. The flutes are directional and the units fit in as a replacement for a sealed beam lamp.

They have a Marchal part number of CODIF 612 41203 and ref #16464/ 50
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Anthony

My UK RHD 67S

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Mike,
    Can you read off some numbers from the lens?
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

A couple of observations:

1) The SB19 SB20 SB21 clear lenses are extremely rare in NOS, or near perfect shape. The 356 guys pay huge $$ for their restorations for these, so you end up chasing these lenses along with those guys.... Note that VW ran these lenses as well.

2) One way to get the OE Euro look is to use the current Euro H-4 headlights with the Euro Hella 356/VW lenses (no "shelf" on top of the lense), ends up looking just like the old original Bosch units.

regards,
    Eric

sithot, I was working on the headlight buckets on my car today. It has last 3 serial #'s followed by S in both buckets, 67S Euro.
    Early 911S member #166

I have no problem with the theory that all men are created equal.
    But after that moment you are on your own and nobody owes you a damn thing.

Anybody ever seen the last 3 digits of thier car's serial number in the headlight bucket? SWB need only apply.
    Mine 65 has it.

Richard

The doors also have numbers stamped on them.

Alan