Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Rebuilt 2.2S motor

FS: Rebuilt 2.2S motor

This is not my 2.2S. That's still going in my 914. Saw this post on Pelican classifieds and thought I'd flag it here.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/show...threadid=330939

Not mine and no affiliation. Don't know anything about it other than what's is the post, but potentially a good deal.

Brooke
    Brooke
    1969 911 ST w/ 2.8SS
    1973 911 RS tribute with 3.3 turbo
    1970 914-6 w/ 2.2S (sold)
    1972 BMW M2 (sold)
    R Gruppe #338
    S Reg # 855

According to the ad it is sold.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

That deal seems too good to be true. So good it has my scam alert blinking.
    0 miles on a freshly rebuilt 2.2S with MFI for $7,500, and a guy in far away Canada with only 2 posts on the Pelican board and no pictures??? That's a $7,500 leap of faith. I would need references and receipts before sending $$$.

I know of one member of this baord who knows the seller and went to take a look at the motor in person. I am wondering if he bought it. I do not think it was a scam, but possibly not as nice (maybe not a full rebuild? No documentation?) as presented.

Brooke
    Brooke
    1969 911 ST w/ 2.8SS
    1972 BMW M2 (sold)
    R Gruppe #338
    S Reg # 855

It's funny a couple of years ago I tried to sell a complete freshly rebuilt 2.2 S motor, fully documented for $6K. No takers, how times have changed.
    Phil

I exchanged a couple of emails with the seller. In my mind it was a nice complete core, and a decent deal if thats what you needed. They didn't replace the pistons and cylinders. Bearings, rings, valve grind, and a gasket kit is not a rebuild on a 37 year old engine, if one is planning to actually use it.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Quote Originally Posted by RSwannabe
    I know of one member of this baord who knows the seller and went to take a look at the motor in person. I am wondering if he bought it. I do not think it was a scam, but possibly not as nice (maybe not a full rebuild? No documentation?) as presented.

Brooke
    Hi Brooke,
    Knowing someone who knew the seller would definitely make a big difference.
    I am just starting to get very skeptical about seeing hi ticket items offered for sale from persons far away with no connection to the inner early 911/912 community or any previous selling history.
    There was a guy outside of Toronto last year who had offered a freshly rebuilt 2.4S motor for sale on Pelican board for around the same price.
    After some inquiry, the seller eventually provided the engine number (which ended up being a T block), and the contact info for the rebuild mechanic. I called the rebuild mechanic who did not remember the engine having any S parts in it. I then spoke with the seller again afterwards who advised that the rebuild had been done before with the S parts, and that the original engine had suffered catastrophic failure. I asked him if he used the same oil cooler, and he said yes. That was all I needed to hear. Of course this may not be the case with this seller or this motor. But deals that are too good to be true are almost always the one common denominator of a good scam artist.
    That having been said, why would anyone in their right mind sell a professionally rebuilt 2.2S engine and MFI with 0 miles for $3-4k less than what a good mechanic would charge to do a quality rebuild without the core....

Gruen,

I don't disagree with being very wary. Deals that sound too good to be true usually are (except for those guys trying to get their money out of Nigeria. They can always be trusted). It sounds like this motor was far from being rebuilt judging from Tom's previous contact with the seller. Never hurts to take a look though. Just keep your eyes open and don't let your hopes of getting a steal override your own good judgement. As these cars and parts get more valuable (expensive) we are seeing more and more scams aimed at this market. Caveat emptor!

Brooke
    Brooke
    1969 911 ST w/ 2.8SS
    1972 BMW M2 (sold)
    R Gruppe #338
    S Reg # 855

I talked to a fellow Early S member who knows the seller and the motor. It should indeed be cosidered a running core.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Talked to the 2.2S motor seller as well, thinking perhaps I could pick it up and do a "correct" and more extensive rebuild before offering it to the Early S community as a plug-and-play concours motor. Alas, the dollar signs just didn't line up.

-No MFI refurb ($1200+ w/ Eurometrix), no Pump (Gus? $1300+)
    -NO case machine work (SQUIRTERS? Line Bore-what's that?, Oil bypass? ETC.)
    -Oil pump is probably the old mag one, adequate but really should use a 911SC oil pump
    -Crank? Rods? better hope he put in new rod bolts and got the right torque, don't know if rods were resized, etc.
    -P/C not replaced, "good condition" he said..how about clearance specs. please
    -Heads, big ? mark
    -cams and rockers not refurbished

scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay