Thread: Drive from Austin to Boulder

Drive from Austin to Boulder

After a recent service (oil change and valve adj) at Morespeed in Austin I am going to make a drive in my 70 from Austin to Boulder next week and would appreciate some contacts along the way should I require asst. I hope there won't be any snow. Its a garage queen after all with just 65k org. miles so its about time to put some serious time in the sport seat.

Wish me luck
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Sounds like an adventure. What route will you be taking, when is the departure?

Extended forecast for front-range of Colorado looks good thru next Friday.
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295
    Zuffenhausen secret weapon

Good Luck...

One of my favorite places.....when not in the left lane....

-Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

think I will leave Wed. trying to take the back roads thru Texas coming up the 25 when i finally get to colorado will take the 85 around Denver on my way to Boulder.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

I have a good contact in ABQ, NM if your route changes.
    Russ Kelso 505-898-6487.
    Storz Garage in Denver is a well respected shop 303-333-1911
    Grady Clay lives up in Denver, I'm sure he could help you if you run into difficulty in Colorado. I'll pm you his email.

Have fun, take some pictures & bring the V1 !
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295
    Zuffenhausen secret weapon

Finally got the trip route planned. Leaving tomorrow morn. here is my route. if anyone has suggested contacts near the route let me know.

Austin out the NW end of town on hwy 71 to Eden, tx over to hwy. 87
    Eden to Lamesa, tx quick jump on hwy 137 and then north up hwy 385 to Dalhart, tx stop in Dalhart for the eve.
    then friday morning jump on to hwy 87/64 thru Clayton, NM on to Trinidad, CO and up the I-25 thru Denver.

Mapquest adds all the routes and comes up with about 950 miles and 17 hrs avg. around 55mph.

Upgraded the AAA membership to Premier so you can get 1 - 200 mile tow which helps.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Unincorporated Arapahoe County, Colorado, USA
    Have fun!

If you need, call me at 303 - seven five six -7308 it takes 8+ rings to get to voicemail or email gradyclayathotmaildotcom.

Best,
    Grady

Ok just got back from a nearly 2,000 mile round trip from austin to boulder. most miles put on my car in a yr. since 1970

first day was very cold and I decided to do an overnight in Dalhart, tx. after 10 hrs in the sport seat, car ran like a champ.

parking with just a quarter tank of suspect gas, low temps forecasted for 15, strong winds and an altitude of 5,000 feet > well some of you might guess the following mornings outcome > a no start.

after a few calls around to the P community to check such things as spark, mfi belt, fuel pump, cold weather start etc. decided to start with most simple .. fuel that might be just to lean to get it started

called auto club and a great old guy that had some great common sense came by to lend a hand. with 8 gallons of premium fuel and a can of heat for the tank, a boost on the battery and removal of the air cleaner to add a bit of gas down ea stack the car started right up.

from then on it performed like a champ through some snow flurries in Pueblo and additional cold nights and alt. in the mountains. I kept the fuel tank full and put in some octane booster to help with the 90 octane premium fuel sold at most CO stations. new Vredesteins tires worked great too.

top speed on the trip was 135 and she had more. couple of close calls with coyotes on the road. biggest challenge was with lighting as I am still running US sealed beams albeit they are the new sylvania super brights pushing 90 on the dark roads was less than confident inspiring.

car is extremely dirty and bug covered but was a hoot and was extremely comfortable. sport seats are great, heater worked great etc etc.

going to get to cleaning her up this aft. valve adj. helped as I avg'd upper teens for gas mileage. after nearly 2,000 miles I only used 1 qrt of oil that seems fantasic, oil temp was never above 200 either, original 65k miles guess things are still tight.

sorry no pictures as wife took the digital camera on her trip. but encourage everyone to get out and drive them. last observation only other P car on the road I spotted the whole trip was a Cayanne Turbo.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser