Thread: If Only this car weren't a tip...

If Only this car weren't a tip...

A tip is the only way I'd own a new Turbo. They are quicker than a shifter car. Linear power with no lag for shifting.

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Nothing wrong with a Tip on the new cars. Especially the 996s on. And even more so on the Turbos. You just have to get used to them. I have a Tip on my 993 and was warned off of it big time but as a daily driver wouldn't have it any other way. Sure, for a track car or hardcore road work a stick is more engaging but the Tips work real well.

The Tips on the 996s are even better with five speeds and a very intelligent adaptive program--it figures out whether you are hammering it or cruising and adjusts appropriately.
    Cheers,

Steve

Early 911S Registry #791
    R Gruppe #404

69 911T Ivory White 2.9 "RGruppe'd" (SOLD)
    72 911T Silver RS Replica SOLD
    73 911S Silver 2.7 "Flares and Chairs" SOLD

Surprising and interesting responses. Since I have never driven one, I will have to check it out for myself someday when the opportunity presents itself.

Tip... you gotta be drag racers or ...kidding

yea, I will even agree that a tip is GREAT on the track. I even have one...... in my wife's Audi allroad and it works great in some respects.

However, when you are on what we love to refer to as "Porsche roads" they do some very annoying things and tend to have a mind of their own. In fact, the SUCK for real world back road adventerous driving. There, I said it. They SUCK unless you wanna drag race or run on a totally predictable road racing closed course.

Wait for them to finally get around to selling these with whatever version of the PDK or whatever they will call it, but the tip is NOT the ultimate solution and if someone gave me a TT with one of these I would trade the car or swap the transaxle for a manual.

Read through the extensive road tests and comparisons in "excellence". It may not be a perfect publication but Pete is an very good and intelligent driver and he and his pals provide superb insights to how the various Porshes do and don't work. They have said all this in detail and better then me. For my part I will have to make do with they SUCK. [If they were REALLY so good, they would be in the GT3 and RS cars. Think about that.]

Either 6 speed or wait for the genuine article to become available. Porsche isn't through getting the last dollar out of the old tired Tip and when sales slow enough and they have nothing else to come out with, suddenly they will have developed their new auto-stick-whatever and will knock everyone's socks off with how wonderful it is.. and it probably will be.. but they will pretend they just figured out how to make it work instead of admitting it has been sitting on the shelf waiting for a need to use it.

John Rice