Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what can i do? what should i do?!

what can i do? what should i do?!

Hello everyone,

I have a dilema, I own a 1972 911T Targa which I've had for about 5 years. It's been an amazing car with only a few problems but recently I've had some oil leaks. I took it to a mechanic (drove it at 90mph hitting 5000 RPM) and he told me the carbs are "shot" and I need a full engine rebuild at an estimate of $12000. He further broke my heart saying this is not a collector and never will be a collector car so I might as well part it out, and its not worth restoring the engine. The body is in pretty good shape, and doesn't need to be stripped and painted for at least another 5 years. He told me I should sell it and get a 911s. I love this car and it has sentimental value. Furthermore I love the targa, nothing like driving it on a sunny sunday or at night with a full moon! I also prefer this body to the S as I'm not crazy about the front spoiler. I also like carbs as opposed to fuel injection. So what are my options? sell it? rebuild? or upgrade the engine to an E or S specs. will that lower the value of the car since the engine will be upgraded or since the T engine isn't so desirable it won't make a difference or maybe make it more desirable. Help!! also what would this cost, is the estimate correct?

Yama
    1972 911T Targa

Get a new mechanic!

hard to give advice without knowing exactly what's wrong.
    does the car run?
    the best advice is get a new mechanic or at least a second opinion.
    $12,000 for a rebuild is probably in the ballpark,but for that you get a new engine and hopefully many more years of enjoyment.
    and think of the fun upgrades you can do.
    you will not find a good "s" for that money.
    in collector cars a solid body is worth more than a solid engine.
    engines can be rebuilt, body repairs get expensive really fast.
    you know the condition of this car buying another is risky and time consuming.
    and don't underestimate the sentimental value.
    good luck
    bob
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

yes it runs. I drove it to the mechanic which was 30 miles away, I hit 90mph on the highway changing gears a few times at 5000rpm. oh and this was turning the car on after 2 months!

Scope Creep Poster Child
    '72 is a very desirable year. Prices for all early cars have gone way up in the last couple of years. Find someone that appreciates your car, and see what they say about the mechanical condition. As a T, you should be able to make modifications without a huge consequence in the value of the car, as long as you make inteligent decisions about the changes.

Perhaps, if your motor is shot, you should look for a good, used SC motor. You can set the original aside if anyone in the future is concerned about originality.

-Scott
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

How did he arrive at "you need a full engine rebuild"? There are tests to determine motor condition. Most namely compression and leakdown tests. I'd start with a compression gauge and run a compression test on the motor.

Carbs are very easy and inexpensive to rebuild. Parts for a rebuild are usually less than a $100 and rebuilding can be done by yourself or a shop fairly easily.

Oil leaks are not a reason to rebuild. Most can be fixed fairly easily. You just need to determine where the oil is leaking from.

Pick a weekend to do a compression test. After a compression test if the motor checks out OK then do a partial motor drop and find out where your oil leaks are. You can take this opportunity to remove the carbs for a rebuild as well.

This mechanics advice of sell it and buy an S is based on what? Obviously it's just his opinion of what he thinks is valuable and he doesn't hold 911T Targas in high regard. A not uncommon opinion it seems which I get tired of hearing. I've owned several 911s and my favorite by far is my 73' T Targa hands down. Of course I've got the car completely sorted but driving it is so much more fun than any of the Coupes I've had in the past.

Find another mechanic that'll appreciate your car and your business.
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    How bad is the oil leak?? As usual, EXCELLENT advice above, but if your ONLY real problem is oil leaks (very common for air cooled engines)... go buy a drip tray and just enjoy driving your car. Find a new mechanic too... please don't say he's with a Porsche dealer.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

It sounds to me that your mechanic wants your car he is trying to convience you to sell it cheap.

I agree with the above posts. It seems that your current mechanic is not well informed or just has other intentions for your car. I think if you post some of your problems and the area in which you live, you will be able to collect some more sound conclusions and maybe a better mechanic.

In my personal opinion a '72T Targa is a very desirable car and anyone that would tell you otherwise is not in their right mind.

Was your car a USA car with factory MFI then was switched to carbs by a previous owner or was your car made for the rest of the world with factory Zenith carbs (edit)?
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

Where are you located?......odds are that we can find you a good honest second opinion.
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc