Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Historical 901/02 case?

Historical 901/02 case?

I have a proper 901/02 case that is a bit of a mystery. I aquired this many years back from a person who claimed it came from Richie Ginther's 1967 S race car. It has been in dry storage for almost 40 years now. The s/n is 960618 and it is type 901/02. As you can see is also has a number stamped below the type number of 6487 and it looks like a factory stamp. The case has damage to both sides where a rod let go. Accoriding to the "story", this happened while Richie was racing it and thus it became a peprweight in his shop up until his death. The spares were sold off and this was included in the package. Considering the importance of all early "S" cars I would like to see if I could find out more about the story. Perhaps someone here knows some details of Richie Ginther's early 911 racing exploits? The case has no main be damage and is repairable. I was quoted $350 a couple years back from a very reputable So. Cal shop. Any help is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

I think Kurt Zimmerman is quite familar with Richie's racing activities.
    Phil

Do you have contact info for him?

Sent you a pm with Kurt's email address.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Thanks for the info.

aturboman,

Just got off the phone with Harold Broughton, Richie's old lead mechanic and crew chief, and he said he just talked with you and gave you some interesting news...

Sorry I wasn't any faster getting you the right info...but you have it now

.... I love this message board...

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Chuck based on my conversation with Harold it looks like the story is true and this was an engine from one of the Ginther Racing's 911s. He said Milt Minter blew it up due to rod bearing problems they were having and some exuberant driving! He went on to say after that they put a govenor on Minter's next engine and he never blew one again; just started winning races. Harold was a great guy to talk with and had many funny stories from the old days. He said unfortunately that both the early 911 Ginther Racing cars are missing in action, so the likehood of reuniting this case with the car is unlikely. If anyone is interested in a 911S case blow up by a famous driver on a famous team let me know. its just a paperweight to me. Chuck you are correct this board is a wealth of information and full of really great people. Thanks to everyone for their help.

67 case

Sent you a PM, Thanks

DynoDave

Engine Case

Also sent you a PM.

Thanks.

Dave
    Member # 351

E-mails sent to all who inquired, Thanks.