Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: question re mfi please

question re mfi please

I have a 70s with carbs and a 71 e motor with mfi,Wondering if I can switch the fuel systems and does this make sense,Thanks in advance,Marty

Marty,

Seeing there is two ways to answer your question...

Just to clarify,

You want to put the '71E MFI system on your '70S carbed motor... yes?

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Sorry,yes.will it give me what should be there originally,Marty

No. Different part numbers and specifications.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

With adjustments,would it be at least better than webbers or is it not worth thinking about.Marty

It isn't worth it due to cost. You would have to have the pump completely converted and the stacks bored and rebuilt. Overall, you are looking at a minimum of $4000 to get the system converted. I'd try to find a real 2.2S MFI kit and have it rebuilt. Take the sting out of the cost by selling the carbs. At least you won't have to pay for boring the stacks and you will have the original part numbers which, frankly, are very important in maintaining the value of the car.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Kenik,

Is what I got at Emory's appropriate for him?

E

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik
    Kenik,

Is what I got at Emory's appropriate for him?

E
    Absolutely, 100% correct. You bought pump 0408 126 009 with matching stacks which is correct for all 2.2 liter Esses.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I have a 009 core, as well as the matching throttle bodies and stacks.... and I need a 2.2E engine.....
    Sent you a PM!

AM

'72 911T 3,0 liter MFI Albert Blue street/DE toy Jeff Higgins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kenikh
    It isn't worth it due to cost. You would have to have the pump completely converted and the stacks bored and rebuilt. Overall, you are looking at a minimum of $4000 to get the system converted. I'd try to find a real 2.2S MFI kit and have it rebuilt. Take the sting out of the cost by selling the carbs. At least you won't have to pay for boring the stacks and you will have the original part numbers which, frankly, are very important in maintaining the value of the car.
    Wow, that's depressing. I'm hoping a large chunk of that four grand is boring mag stacks and reworking throttle bodies. Not to hijack, but I now have a vested interest in MFI rebuild costs; I have started on my 3.0 project. Gotta run MFI... Monty has already started on my heads, drilling the MFI port and replacing all valves, guides, springs, and one seat. He is port-matching them to my 36mm throttle bodies. In other words, I'm committed. Or maybe should be... Henry at Supertec tells me he has an RSR space cam, and can bore my plastic stacks. Nowhere near four grand worth of work, but my throttle bodies are good to go and I'm not boring mag stacks. Starting with a 015 pump in brand new condition, too, so hopefully the only cost there is the space cam and time to put it in. He did tell me, however, that all the little parts inside, if it needs any, can really add up fast. But $4k... say it ain't so... snivel...
    "God invented whisky so the Irish wouldn't rule the world."