Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing fuel evap. system

Removing fuel evap. system

Hi

I want to remove the fuel evap. system on my US 71 911T. Is there any downside? (the euro cars did not have them) If its ok to delete what do I need to do at the engine end and what about the fuel tank outlets? My thought was to block of at engine end and tank(where exactly?), then I pressume the system is inactive and can be removed piece by piece even if the car is being used in between removing the different parts from the evap system?

Best
    John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Don't forget that you have to vent the tank to allow outside air into the tank as the gasoline is burned. A one way check valve in the vent line will keep the gasoline from spilling out if you roll over.

John

How is the vent problem solved on euro cars? Maybe I can use the tube that goes through the chassis to the tank under the fender for this purpose?

John
    Early 911S Registry #931

As a follow-up question, would a check valve be readily available from your friendly neighborhood autoparts store? I would think so, but any special requirements?
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

As I remember, and my memory has weakened appreciably, I think that I used a PCV valve from my local parts store. So far, my tank has not collapsed as the fuel is expended. As I have not rolled over, I can not comment on the reliability of the check valve.

As for the Euro Vent question, it would take a look at the parts manual (stored in the garage at home) to see what was done accross the pond. The PET at Porsche.com might show a picture.

John

The Euro vent is the tube from the top of the tank to the vapor box under the dash and then another tube down to a hole through the suspension pan by the washer fluid bottle.

This is how my Euro car is plumbed. I have another vapor box if you need one.
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

I like the check valve idea rather than venting the tank directly to the outside world as I am now. Besides, maybe that area of the garage may smell a little less of gasoline.

John thanks for bringing up the subject and John and Bob thanks for the answers. I will pick up a valve tonight.

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

From the PET it looks like the expasion box is also present in the US setup. I guess I will try to figure out where the lines go in my euro 73S and copy that to the US 71T. Then I will have to try to remove all the leftover lines from the US setup. Especially I wonder if its difficult to remove the two lines going to the back of the car(coming from the charcoal box) or can I just pull them out? Is there any point in installing a valve if I copy the euro setup, I have never had any fuel smell in the garage from the euro car.

Any tips on blocking of at the engine, how is that done on the euro cars? (yes I know I can go down in the garage but I am venting out the gasoline small after removing the tank)

John
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Early 911S Registry #931

matching tangerine and green

(ok, not quite the new GT3s !)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)

I bought a generic PCV on the way home. I was suprised to find that it is not a true one-way valve. True at pressure, it blocks a significant flow of air, but there is still leakage. At low pressure I can see gas vapors still slowly leaking out since it does not create a true seal. Is that the way they are supposed to work? I know the valve on my windshield squirters are a true one way valve,, would that be a better solution?