Thread: Value of a 73 S Engine

Value of a 73 S Engine

Trying to place a value on a complete 1973 S engine that was removed from a wreck in the early 1980's. It has miles in the 30s and has been stored inside. Thanks guys.

Don

Hey Don,

I've asked the same question some time ago because I've found the same thing (see pic)
    Now I think it's quiet difficult to put a value on an engine without leakdown numbers and knowing in what condition the mfi-pump is (9 times out of 10 they need a rebuilt $$$$$...)

Going from a worst case scenario, a complete rebuilt of the entire engine, I figure it's still worth at this point about 5-6 thousand (if it's complete!).

If it turns out it's still in good shape, probably 9-10 thousand??? (somebody can chime in and tell me I'm way off...)

Good luck with the engine. What are you gonna do with it?
    Regards
    Johan
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have a friend with a very low mileage (rebuilt in early 90s) '73S engine. The car--a 73S targa--was totaled and has just been sitting since the accident ~10 years ago. Anybody interested in it? I think he wants $9-10k.
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

MFI pumps

I can say pretty much for sure that any MFI engine that has been sitting that long, unless special care has been taken to lube and regularly turn it over,
    will be frozen and probably ruined. I have been through this several times.

Unless I am mistaken that reduces the value, whatever it is, by about $3k.

There is mty 2 bits and almost 40 years experience.
    John Rice