Thread: They're gonna put me in the movies..

They're gonna put me in the movies..

Well, my '70 S Coupe actually. Last week here in Austin I started getting calls from friends and shops that know may car, saying that a movie crew is looking for a really original, really nice early 911 Coupe for use in filming a pilot here.
    After a few days of my own unavailibility, due to work related issues, the deal is done. I am taking my baby to a north Austin mansion where it will live for the next 10 days or thereabouts.
    The show is to be called "Swingtown", and all I know is that it takes place somewhere in Michigan (!) in the mid 70's, is about the wretched excess of the time, and the hero drives my car
    I get to hang while the car is in use, and get some very small portion of the bucks invested back, for their use. I guess if the show is picked up, Keller could have a gig for a while..

note: I had a REALLY hard time sizing a picture to be accepted here..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bill Conway, Early S Registry member #254
    1970 S, 2.2L Silvermetallic Coupe
    1973 T, 3.2L Black Carrera Targa
    1969 T, 2.4L Silvermetallic Targa

Bill - they've been making 'casting calls' around here for that movie/show. My understanding is it will be partially filmed in Flint, Michigan (about 45 minutes north of Detroit). They were particularly interested in 70's vintage buses and trucks they could place strategically to block modern buildings, etc. I don't quite get the Flint location - in the 70's it was one of the biggest GM union towns in America where Fords and Dodges were considered 'foreign cars' - not exactly a town known for wretched excess!

Unbelievably, I bought my 71 Targa in Flint from the original owner - a few blocks from the ghetto. Predictably, it had been vandalized (keyed) in a shopping center parking lot during the early 80's ... a common occurrence back then for foreign cars. Hmmm .... maybe a storyline I should submit. Not with your car, of course

Wretched excess in Mich? How about Wretched potholes! (and of course college football too) =)
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

My brother does this for a living - sourcing cars for movies and commercials. he helped do the vehicles for Ghost Rider.

However, be careful, if the Art Director now decides he wants the car to be black, make sure you have been very specific with the contract you have with them about what they can and cannot do to/with the car.
    Phil Lack
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    Past President: Australian TYP901 Register Inc. # 0002

2.0 '66 911R : sold
    2.0 '68 911S : sold
    2.4 '72 911E coupe original Aubergine
    2.4 '72 911E :sold
    2.4 '72 911T : sold
    3.6 '94 993 :sold
    3.6 '97 993 C2S :sold
    '01 Ferrari 360 sold
    '15 CLA250 Benz
    '12 BMW 1M coupe (OMG!)

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Sounds like a "Candid Camera" thing to me... where they "accidentally" dump 2 tons of manure on some guys Porsche after telling him it was being used for a big time Hollywood pilot. Watch out for those hidden cameras!
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

You guys are a LOT of fun!! I didn't want to get any sleep while my car is out anyway..

seroiusly, so far so good.
    Bill Conway, Early S Registry member #254
    1970 S, 2.2L Silvermetallic Coupe
    1973 T, 3.2L Black Carrera Targa
    1969 T, 2.4L Silvermetallic Targa

Hey Bill

That's cool. Will the car just be parked in shots or actually be driven by someone? Let's see some pics from the set.
    A.T.
    Early 911S Registry Member #500

Quote Originally Posted by Cornpanzer
    Wretched excess in Mich? How about Wretched potholes! (and of course college football too) =)

You said it man!

Awesome, Bill! Great to hear it, please let us know when they're going to run the pilot- I want to have my DVD burner ready!

Miss you guys-
    David
    David Schultz
    1973 911T 2.7
    R Gruppe #228
    Www.davidschultz-id.com
    www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/turbo_dave