Thread: Fuchs - any pics of original paint process

Fuchs - any pics of original paint process

Hi,

Does anyone have any info or specifically any pictures of the process fuchs originally went through to apply the black detailing?

Thanks in advance

Alan

Not sure but i think the early's(anodised paddles) were painted in a bath.
    #rennfrog

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for your post. I have always thought that fuchs were dipped in paint rather than sprayed but then I had also wondered how they got such a clean line as purely dipping a wheel in paint would (I think) not achieve that clean line.

I was hoping some one had some pics

Thanks

Alan

Harvey told me that they were dipped. this would also explain the lack of paint on the inside of the paddle...due to the air bubble.
    ??
    don't ask me.
    i wasn't there
    cheers
    jerry

Hi Jerry,

I also think they were dipped, but then how did they get such a clean line on the front face, they must have used a mask of some sort. I would like to investigate how they did it, (so I can duplicate it) as masking and painting is not the original way.

I am sure someone must have some pics of these being painted in the factory or some further info......

Thanks
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by typ901
    Harvey told me that they were dipped. this would also explain the lack of paint on the inside of the paddle...due to the air bubble.
    The first Fuchs, the 4.5" ones, could not have been dipped, they were definitely masked, as the paint is limited to the small triangle above the cutout. I think the dipping started with the 5.5" ones in '68.

From Harvey and Ed Barnett's article at 911T.org

"The first 911 alloy wheel was available on the 1967 911S and was 4.5" wide. It was basically the same size and offset as the steel wheels. It is unique among the Porsche wheels in that no other wheel is painted like it. It has a dart of black from the lug hole to the cooling hole. This paint was put on with the aid of a mask and was touched up with a brush as needed."

"As wheel size became larger with the introduction of the 5.5" wheels on the 1968 model cars the wheels were dipped in black paint to produce a definitive spoke and outer rim design. In the early 70's racecars and the legendary 1973RS was available with solid painted (black or color) centers with the outer rim and offset exposed as anodized. These wheels were painted with a mask."

"Although most wheels were originally dipped in paint it is better to mask. Dipping is costly and they turn out just like the factory with runs, thin spots, fish eyes and usually they are crooked. The factory paint varies as much as 8mm from wheel to wheel sometimes from side to side on the same wheel. Spray paint is more controllable and it turns out better."
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Thanks for that Tom.

I would still like to investigate a quicker process of painting these wheels... I have a few to do (pic 1). I already use a mask to give me the original line, but then I still have to fine line and mask them. I am wondering if I could make a mask which could be applied and then the wheel painted, but its getting that nice crisp paint line, that masking gives.(pic 2)

With thanks

Alan