Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source for OEM door seals? Roger Bray?

Source for OEM door seals? Roger Bray?

Anyone have a source (preferably in the US) for the flat style OEm door seals for my 70S?
    I have been told that Roger Bray sells them, but I am not for sure.
    The seals in my car now are the round hollow "garden hose" style. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Anyone, anyone.....Bueller?
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

I've got a used set in my garage ....

OK . I know you "all original " guys are gonna jump all over me. But I got a new JC Whitney catalog last night. They do carry lots of vintage car replacement stuff. Maybe there is a generic profile that's closer to the original than the "tube" garbage? My '66 whistles like crazy on the freeway. I did 50 miles one way to work for almost 18 years, and I got so fed up I went to the local hardware store and got stickon foam to stick to the top of the window frames. It worked but looked like crap. This is not rocket science, there's got to be a simple way to get appropriate seals. I bought a new tube-style, supposedly OEM piece from PP a few months ago, and it's not even the right length!

Maybe I'll splurge and spend $19.95 at JCW to try something new....

cheers
    Adam912.Out.

I have to say, I also purchased a pair of weatherstrip replacements from PP about a year ago. Never installed them, as they didn't look like the right replacement even though they were the right part number. Anyone want some tubes cheap?
    911S Registry #837
    1972 911T Sepia

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Did the introduction of the "tube" seals coincide with the addition of the secondary felt seals that start at the base of the A-pillar and extend upward to their termination at the top-rear corner of the window frame (ala SC)? Has anyone added these secondary seals to an early car? Why did Porsche change the seals?
    -Scott
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

I have a set of the reproduction flap style seals from Europe, however they are still not right. The original had an embossing in the rubber that helped seal at the window frame to door. Still the tube style with the front and rear window frame plastic profiles (mandatory with tube style seal) is the best.

Tube seals

Jeff,

You hit the nail on the head. Porsche changed to the tube seal to help with the cronic air noise issues on the early 911. I retro fitted LOTS of the tube seals on early cars back in the day and had very happy customers with no wind noise.
    Properly adjusted and installed doors, frames, trim and tube seals will virually eliminate air noise up to about 125 mph. You can also use 3M body caulk (dumb dumb) instead of the later plastic trim on the front and back window frame with good results. To keep a more original apperance.
    After 22 years and 175k miles I am just now starting to get a little wind noise from the top of the driver's side window frame at above 80 mph on my car.
    The only good thing about the old style seals is if you want original apperance. They never worked very well in MHO and Porsche's. That's why Porsche changed them.

All the best!

Roger Grago
    R Gruppe #27
    Early 911S Registry #194 since 1999

What are the front and rear window frame plastic profiles? Can you post a pic?

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Roger-
    Have you ever installed the secondary seals I mentioned earlier in this thread? Do you think these seals are a significant means of reducing noise?
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab