Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sports Seats 73 vs 68

Sports Seats 73 vs 68

These are the sports seats currently in my car, I believe they are from a 73. My car is a 68 and hence they are incorrect. What are the main differences? Could someone post pictures of a 68 (Eric) please?

I might want to trade these for 68 seats in similar condition, would this be a fair trade?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Henry

I'll start with the main/most obvious differences

'69-'73 sport seats have the sliders/runners as part of the tilting base
    '68 & earlier sports seats have the sliders/runners attached to the base of the seat

'69-'73 tilting bases are much heavier/more complicated than the '68 & earlier bases.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Henry,
    Here is a shot of a 68 only seat I used to own. This was a true NOS never in a car seat. I did not save a shot of the base but this shows the slider knob in the seat cushion rather than on the mounting base itself. Hope this helps.
    Daron
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Unfortunately, my shots are unorganized, and I can't put my hands on a seat base pic right now.

However here's a link to a current thread that has a picture of an advertisement that shows what the seat with base would look like.... it's the black and white pic with the "tan" looking seat.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=14551

In regards to value, I would consider the seats to be pretty much of an equal value...though you will find that there are more people wanting the 69-73 seats as there is a wider market...so yours might be worth more...then again, there are fewer 68 sport seats around....so, I think you get the idea. The most valuable seats in my opinion are the 67 sport seats....these were noticeable different in construction in terms of the foam and shape of the contours, and the internals were a little different than later seats as well. 1968 seats "look" very similar to the 69/73 seats in terms of contours and shape of the foam, etc.

All of my 67/68 seats and brackets are in storage so I can't help right now.

regards,
    Eric

Thanks for your replies, I'd appreciate any additional information others could post
    Henry

Hi Henry,

I have attached 2 pics which I hope helps show some of the main difference in the frames.
    I suspect the price for pre and post 69 seats is similar but I do think the prices for S seats will now stabilise. I have based this on the number of replica S seats being produced. The quality is very good and so is the price in comparison to Recaro sports, so much so I have fitted them in several cars now.

Here is the recaro SWB set up

and the reacro LWB set up

Here is a quick pic of the new replica seats I mentioned. One is in full leather, one in leather a hounds tooth and the other vinyl and basket-weave.

I will have more pics soon, with these seats in cars

Thanks

Alan

Thanks Alan,

Those replicas are indeed quite nice
    Henry

Unhappy replica seats

As a member of the Aluminum lug nut club, I am always looking for light materials for my car. Why is nobody making seat bases out of Aluminum. I cant get behind putting 60lb. sport seats in my 911S. If I have to I will put one heavy sport and one regular seat. Regards Chris Early S Reg.#205

Quote Originally Posted by hdavis
    Thanks Alan,

Those replicas are indeed quite nice
    i too was thinking about the "replica" recaro sport seats in perf. leather by bf torino for my car and was wanting some fed back from owners ie any advantages/disadvantages before i place order....?

--------------------------
    Peter Kaufmann
    '73 911E fully rebuilt 2.7RS carrera mfi spec

Hi,

These seats are not the BF torino ones so I can not comment on them. But the ones I have attached in the picture are very good. I will have some pics of them in cars soon. A company (early911) will soon start supplying them within the UK but I am sure you can also get them in the US.

Thanks

Alan