Thread: Numbered oil temp gauge replacement question

Angry Numbered oil temp gauge replacement question

So I ordered the numbered oil temp gauge for my early car and am replacing this eve. The first thing I notice is the new gauge uses a three spade plug that is unlabeled. My old gauge has three separate female spade connectors and each plug is labeled. I figured out which one is negative but what about the other two?

Anybody have a clue?

Second thing I notice is the plug on the new gauge sits right where the retaining bracket for early cars lays across the back of the gauge housing . What this means, is there is no way to secure the housing in the dash using the old bracket as is. Do I need to cut the old bracket and punt?

Just a bit frustrated cuz it was pretty much explained as a plug n play replacement.
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937

Joe, are your gauges held in by brackets with studs and nuts, or do they just press in with rubber rings to hold them snugly? I can't remember when Porsche made the change.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Guage change

I think the change to rubber rings was introduced on the 1970 / C series cars, so the 69s were the last to use the studs.
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

Oh yeah, 69 had the retaining bracket and nuts. Here's the prob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937

Uh-oh. Looks like you should try a rubber ring type gauge, or maybe just a rubber ring on your gauge. Will it work in a 69? I don't know.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Tom,

I got the rubber ring for my tach & clock but they nned to be trimmed and stick out like a sore thumb. I think the 70 openings are a bit bigger. Anyway, I got my dremel out and notched the strap so it now fits. Lets hope I can read the diagram I made with which wires went were.
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937