Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The last 5 minutes of Sebring

Thumbs up The last 5 minutes of Sebring

I don't know about you'all but.... the last 5 minutes of Sebring might be the BEST racing I'll see all year...

I've confirmed with more then one friend that I wasn't the only person that was standing in front of my TV SCREAMING...

I'm SO glad that the win stood after the protest... and I can't wait to see Bergmeister and Melo at it again next time...

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I agree, that was the best dual I've seen in years.
    My wife came running into the living room to call
    the paramedics!

I dont know if I agree with the win, however.
    Steve

Ya'know Rico I felt funny about it for about for about 10 seconds... Then, like you, I heard Bergmeister over his radio... Then I put myself in the Ferrari pits if Melo would have let'm by...

It was a tough call and tough racing... kind'a like the Porsche Cup Bergmeister used to compete in ...
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

"tough call" is an understatement...

That was some damn fine driving...by both Melo and Bergmeister.

Not sure I agree with all the rubbin...then again, I'm out here sitting a chair 3000 miles away from trackside. I'll leave the judgement calls to those on the scene...

I'd like to see more diesel action - in the GT categories...

Like F1: this is gonna be a good season...

Cheers
    Thom

My wife thought I had lost my mind. I was one foot from the TV triing to see through the Ferrari to the Porsche as it was nosing by. I was literally with Bergmeister in the cockpit willing him on. It was thrilling, and frankly, once I saw the replay about a thousand times, I have to agree that the finish had to stand as it did. THAT was racing. I loved what Melo's teammate said after the race......that Melo stood as a man to get the flag. Totally awesome!!!!!!!!
    2004 GT3 Carrara White with a few mods...
    2011 987.2 Spyder White, LWB's, 6 speed... Crazy Fun!!!

R #208
    S #607
    A #76

That was a great one to see live. Melo got the job done. After 12 hours of racing, you do not give up without a hard fight. Not a great day for Porsche, Andretti/green did not have a lot of time to prep the LMP2 car, what a great victory for them. Porsche will be back!

Erich

That was good stuff, but I'd say Melo was RIGHT on the edge of disqualification. Better to let it stand I suppose. Had he crashed Bergmeister out, he probably would've been disqualified. Bergmeister drove extremely cleanly but could've punted Melo into the wall if he would've known he could get away with it.

In any case, right up there with the classic Villeneuve-Arnoux battle

Do you think you would have felt differently about the finish if Berg would have spun and gotten injured or killed because of this bumping? If you can't pass cleanly, don't pass. The only way the Ferrari was going to win was to run the Porsche off the track. Look at the lap times.
    JLC
    rgruppe# 344
    collinsgruppe@bellsouth.net

That's my point I guess. If Berg had spun (or worse yet, spun and been injured or killed) there is no question at all that Melo would have been disqualified, so why wasn't he disqualified for ALMOST causing a problem like that? Technically, he should have been. By the same token, had Berg known it was acceptable to the officials to bump Melo into the wall, he probably would have and secured the win. In any case, probably not a good precedent to set .... will be interesting to see if Berg retaliates - the officials almost have to close their eyes to it now!

Curt, you and I posted at the same time, so we were both on the same thought path at the same moment. Good point about the last lap where Berg could have done the same thing that was eventually done to him, but didn't. He raced close for the entire last lap and didn't touch the Ferrari. I think I could race proessionally if bumping that way is legal.
    JLC
    rgruppe# 344
    collinsgruppe@bellsouth.net