Thread: Bendix Fuel Pump

Bendix Fuel Pump

Listers,

My first posting, although I joined the registry in 2003.

I am slowly waking up a barn find '67 911S (Ol Ivory) that was put in storage in 1975. Battery acid and couple New England winters ate the front suspension pan. Rather than have someone kludge a fix, the owner drove it into his brother's garage. And the years passed. Grand children, unfortunately dented the roof, the hood and rear deck lid. The engine, with a purported 1200 miles on a dealer rebult, was not pickeled and unfortunately, it froze up.

Now, the front pan has been replaced, bare metal paint job is done (as before 6604 Ivory), brakes (new MC, cast iron calipers rebuilt, rubber lines replaced), shifter linkage busings done. Trans. seems to shift o.k., I'm using Swepco 205.

I have a set of 2.2 liter 911S heads and am thinking about using them on the matching numbers 2.0S engine when it';s time to tear that down, inspired by Wayne Dempsey's "recommendation." I'll ask about that another day. In the meantime, I have a working 2.0S from another '67S (the Rust Bucket, my parts car) installed and it seems to run o.k.

The Bendix fuel pump in Ol' Ivory seems to be working fine but since it's been asleep for 30+ years it should be taken apart, inspected and cleaned. It's working, making pressure although I haven't measure how much yet. My question is, if I try to take it apart, are the two gaskets going to shred? I presume that they are made of fiber. Upper gasket: 901.608.909.00 and lower: 901.608.908.00. No luck with either Pelican or Stoddard. Has anyone found a suitable substitute (maybe Viton)?

BTW, I've been learning a lot trolling through your archives.

Thanks in advance,

- Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory & the Rust Bucket)
    '67 912/356D (Ol' Blue & Ol' Beige)
    '65 356C (Ol' Grey)

Sounds like a neat find!

I rebuilt my Bendix pump from parts out of a new Facet pump and now carry the Facet(with old Bendix parts in it) as a spare. It's been awhile since I did that, so I can't remember how much was interchangeable, but it seems like I swapped nearly everything.

Bill,

I would remove, and carefully store, the old pump, and use a new Facet pump with the yellow plating scuffed off and a reproduction sticker. The old points-style pump is too hard to find. You might try swapping replacement parts like the filter and gasket (my recollection is mine was red rubber) into the old pump also. Be incredibly careful working around gasoline and its vapors, it's the most toxic stuff this side of a nuc plant.

Modern 2,2 heads have the wrong casting number on the lower fin, so originality is an issue if you go that route. Also, the 2,2 heads have a different sealing surface that incorporates a CE ring, vs. the paper and metal gaskets of the 2,0. That being said, Porsche did revise the combustion chamber design and used a smaller angle betweent the valves due to concern over detonation.

A recent thread about the Bendix pump appeared here. Also, over on Pelican are my thoughts about pumps and the head dilemma.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ed+over+901F05

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hlight=cohline

Good luck!
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen