Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uh oh, Weber manifold cracked!!

Uh oh, Weber manifold cracked!!

After bead blasting i noticed a crack at the base of one of my intake manifolds (for Webers). The crack is pretty deep. Can this be fixed and if so who should i have do it?

I assume these manifolds are magnesium (very light). The crack makes it appear that the bolt at that point was torqued down a bit too much.

I am really bummed here as i just rec'd my rebuilt dizzy and was ready to get everything back together (with the exception of some zinc coating to be done).

Anybody have an extra intake runner for Webers? Ideas on what these sell for if found?

Thank you for any help you can give!

Erik
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

Probably Al not Mg should be weldable these are widely available used.
    Phil

They are aluminum. I had mine welded at the base on one side as well. However, I'm planning on changing out to a slightly taller set that I bought from Hawaii (need that paradise touch on the intake side of life baby).
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Becareful some of them are mag. are they black?
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

They are black (or were before i blasted them).

Part # is 901 108 321
    also says 1R

So, mag or Al and who can i send these to? Not comfortable with anyone around here.

And thank you for such quick responses in this time of need!!!
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

Al or mag you should be able to find someone around there that will weld it.......just look for a specialty welding shop.
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

Hello: If they are factory Weber manifolds (901 part number) they are magnesium for sure. They can be welded with magnesium rod and tig welded. The trick is to preheat the manifolds before welding and make sure they are clean with no oil. I bake them first at 350 degrees to get rid of the oil. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

Thanks to all for the assistance.

A fellow on Pelican by the name of Tab Tanner (no, not 'Tabs') will be doing the required work. I like the idea of supporting fellow S members and Pelicans wherever possible.

Eric is there no limit to your Porsche knowledge?!
    Erik

Early S # 1107

Hello: I do have a limit on my Porsche knowledge. I don't know much about the new water cooled cars. The last cars that were water cooled that I work on are 944's. The new cars don't do much for me. I have driven GT-3's and other new Porsche cars and must say that the old cars have character. There is no other car that drives like a old 911. Give me a narrow bodied 911 with a 3.0 engine and you can't get the smile off my face. I had the chance of a lifetime to drive a new GT-3 and my old 3.0 1969 911 on the same day. My thought afterwords was keep the 911 and use the extra money from a GT-3 for a 914-6 GT. I guess that is why all of us that look at this site enjoy the old cars. Get in turn the key, smile and let the fun begin. Sorry for the long response. Thanks Eric

Mag welding

Hi

you need to make sure that the rod they use for the weld is the same make up/material as the manifold, so you need to find out the type of magnesium the manifolds are made of. I have just had a crack welded up on one of my MFI throttle bodies, after a long search I managed to find from the original drawings that the bodies were made from a material that was 91% mag 8% alloy and 1% nickle, the rod I used was a AG91 rod. The chances are that your manifolds are made from the same material.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards
    John #1022

1970 911E 2.2