Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glasurit Silver 8010H or 8080?

Lightbulb

Allen is right...

After the 60's metallic's were almost always 2 stage...
    If you were REALLY good you could get away with shooting straight single stage enamel (which doesn't exist anymore) where the technique was 'what you shot was what you got' with no 'working' the finish...

The deal is you CAN'T work a metallic finish... you'd just sand down the aluminum flakes...what you do 'work' is the clear coat second stage...

The German paint systems have changed at least 3 time since I did my complete in 1990... So getting the formula just right from a 35 year old chip to one of the new systems is VERY challenging...

Also, when matching panels to exiting metallic paint is even more challenging not only because of the change of complete paint systems but with metallic's the result is both pattern AND pressure sensitive... The metallic will lay down more with slightly higher pressure, therefore and darker effect, then with a slightly lower pressure which the met. flakes will stand up creating a brighter effect.........
    I have a few old cans of color with both gun type and pressure scribbled on them from the painter...

A good metallic complete, and moreover, a good metallic panel match, is indeed an art form today.....

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I'm not concerned with getting my paint from the matching supplier. I just want to re-stamp a replacement tag with the code it most likely had when it left the factory.

So, all you 8080 people out there, are you Hs, Ls or Gs?
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan
    On a related note. My 70 is missing it's tag. I know the code for my car is 8080 but, how would I determine the paint supplier since that is not on my COA?
    Guess? Which letter, G, L, or H, do you like the most and stamp it on the tag. At this point you can't figure out which paint maker was used.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Where are the CSI lab guys when you need them
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

My 70S is an 8080H
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

So, if you were restoring a 72S needing a complete paint job from bare metal where and what paint would you recomend for silver mettalic 8080? I want to do this right the first time and what would be considered a concour resto done right. I didn't know if a clear coat was what they used in 72 or if that's aceptable today on a resoration.

For the highest standard

Concours repaint...

Is that what you really want? then you have to find a proven Porsche painter who has painted cars that have won top tier Porsche awards. If you can't find one in your area then you have to transport your car or get lucky.

-Allen-

Michael,

I went through this frustrating excercise several months ago.
    I wanted to contact Mark Waring in the UK for help as my car is a UK delivery and he has some listings that would be of interest in this area but was unable to make contact.
    I also asked at Porsche Cars Australia as they have a factory microfiche of 911s produced in that era but also to no avail.
    The last resort was to use the 'pin' method...G,L or H...? which was what I ended up doing.
    Let me know if you can do something a little more scientific pls...

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Quote Originally Posted by fryardds
    At this point you can't figure out which paint maker was used.
    See, now that's the kind of talk that makes me dig my heels in.

Did you say that on purpose?

OK, I have one data point. Dave, what's your build date? Mine is 1/1/70.

What has me thinking is that Karmann and Reutter might have sourced paint differently giving us different manufacturer suffix stamps for the same color.

Another theory might be that colors that Porsche picked out might not have been available from all three suppliers. For example, maybe all 8080 at that time was Herbol.

Lastly, a color was available from multiple suppliers but, at a particular time they could only get 8080 from Glasurit. Since the paint would have been bought in bulk, it would lead to a number of cars built in the same time frame of say a month or two and in the same color. They would have all ended up with the same manufacturer suffix.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

I am not sure of my build date, but I am very late in the model year series. Is there an easy way to figure this out?
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439