Thread: cleaning plastic tanks

cleaning plastic tanks

Can anyone recommend the products used and the procedure used to clean out a plastic tank? I've had a product suggested by Paterek but the supplier would not ship it. I live in Wyoming where there are more ski shops than auto related businesses so I don't have much resource here. Is there a business out there that would do it if I shipped the tank? Help please, we are about to install a new Rennwagen 2.4S engine in my car. Yup, Bill Doyle. By the way he drives a 72 911TV targa, kind of a rare bird. HELP, TIA. S.S.

Steve:

As you might have guessed, plastic tanks don't rust or corrode so the cleaning & care prodedures are a bit different than with steel tanks,...LOL.

Typically, plastic tank interiors get coated with varnish and "slime" from the effects of fuel deterioration over the years that must be removed to prevent screens and filters from becoming obstructed.

I used to own a '73 RS lightweight with the plastic tank and had the same problem and I had excellent luck with these procedure:

1) Drain & remove the tank.

2) Remove inlet/outlet fittings, sending unit, etc.

These next steps require a friend and both of you should be wearing neoprene gloves with long gauntlets. You will need to buy him a nice lunch and a few beers for helping.

3) Pour 2 gallons of Laquer Thinner into the tank and give it a few hard shakes and swirls to rinse it out. (you won't reuse that again)

4) Pour 6 lbs of steel shot into the tank and both of you shake the tank as hard as possible in every direction for a several minutes. This dislodges all the varnish. Empty the shot into a container since you might need it again.

5) Rinse the tank with Laquer Thinner again and once again, shake it well.

6) After the remnants evaporate a bit, look inside the tank through the sending unit opening with a flashlight and mirror to ensure that all the yellowish-light brown varnish is gone and all you see is grey plastic.

7) Repeat 3, 4, 5 if necessary.

8) Replace the inlet/outlet fittings (901.201.023.04 & 901.201.023.05) and sealing rings.

9) Voila'; you're done. Keep Stabil in the gas and you won't have to do this messy job ever again,...

Hope this helps,
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

1) Purchase 1 Gallon of OmegaClean
    2) Do not dilute
    3) Swish around in tank for 1/2 hour
    4) Pour Out (Save to clean other stuff around the shop)
    5) Enjoy!

It's environmentally friendly and all the varnish will be broken down in about 20 seconds, the remainder of the time is just to clean up any other misc. crud left behind.