Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally got a 911S, but... may have to kill another one

Finally got a 911S, but... may have to kill another one

I'm in a difficult spot with my new restoration project. I've been looking for a 69-71 911S to restore to orginal to be garage buddies with my bastard 1970 911E. I finally found one, bought it, and it's on it's way up to me. In keeping with the 'back to original' theme, it needs to have later flares removed and replaced with orginal quarters.

Here's the quandry:

Last week, I purchased another 1970 911S. This is a parts car (no engine and somewhat rusty bottom) with rear quarters that are not too bad.

Do I:
    A) Take the rear quarterpanels off the parts car and weld to the new project.

B) Sell the somewhat rusty parts car as a roller w no engine (Basically a bare chassis that is an S) and use the funds to purchase new rear quarter panels from Porsche.

I was initially thinking of taking the quarters off and putting them on the new project, but I'd hate to see the 70S parts car be stripped and head to the crusher.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
    Andrew M

Can we see photos of this parts car?
    Thinking ahead to the future, you will probably hate yourself in a few years if you scrap an "S".
    Think about the 356 market. We are restoring junk cars now that are worse than the trash that was scrapped in the 80s. The trash of the 80s is worth a small fortune now.
    My two cents.....
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

I don't understand why you are considering fitting LWB rear quarters to a SWB car, they are different in several ways so you are hardly 'back to original'. The only way to restore the rear quarters is to fit new quarters correctly, as the factory manual advises, otherwise you will be building in a rust timebomb for the future
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

I'll get some pictures up of the parts car.

Nick - The project car and parts car are both 1970 911S models - no SWB/LWB mutations here!

AM

Sorry I misread the original post, but my comment about fitting quarters still stands!
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Thanks Nick - That is what I'm leaning towards. If I'm going to do it, I want to do it right

AM

Quote Originally Posted by Cornpanzer
    Can we see photos of this parts car?
    Thinking ahead to the future, you will probably hate yourself in a few years if you scrap an "S".
    Think about the 356 market. We are restoring junk cars now that are worse than the trash that was scrapped in the 80s. The trash of the 80s is worth a small fortune now.
    My two cents.....
    Save the "S"! Save the "S"!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I have a pair of standard 69-73 Flares that were cut off for RS flares. See my site http://www.Porsport.com under parts for pics. Theay are cheap and already cut!

Don

Well this is sort of a no brainer....CRUSH NOTHING! If you don't want the carcass, I'm sure the lineup would be a block long to take it off your hands. I got a 72T parts car in my warehouse that looks so freaking sick nobody would want it, but give it a couple more years and it's gold.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Well, it looks like I'm going with Plan B.
    It snowed a lot this past week and the wife is making odd noises aboout the Acura being parked on the street (911S project and 911E in driveway and the 911S parts car in the garage to assess condition), so it looks like the answer is sell the parts car with title and use the funds to purchase NOS rear quarters.

I really don't know what it's worth - It is an S, was originally Irish Green and still has a few things like the rear oil thermostat console and S dash trim. But it also has a number of negatives - some rust near jacking points and in the front pan (probably more, but I haven't crawled under to look closely), the interior is rough, and the front half was the unfortunate victim of a 964/C2 'update' (short hood, fiberglass C2 bumper and later fenders)

If I could keep it, I'd strip it and use it as the basis for a future track car, but the wife feels I only need 2 911s and deep down I kind of agree

It will go to eBay sometime next weekend I suspect

Regards,
    Andrew M
    Attached Images Attached Images