Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Replacing my Steering Wheel

Need Help Replacing my Steering Wheel

I have sold Kermit, my 73 Targa - sadly, and I want to replace the Prototipo that is currently on it with the original wheel. I have taken the old wheel off, but am having some problems putting the original back on.

It's been a couple of years, but I seem to remember that the original wheel doesn't need the adapter ring, and just bolts directly on the steering column. But when I put the horn pad back in place and swivel it that 1/8th turn, the horn turns on, and won't go off.

What am I doing wrong, or is there just something broken?

I am supposed to deliver the car to the new owner tomorrow noon, Sunday, so I need some quick help.

TIA

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Hi Larry,

It is a bit late now but I will call you in the am to discuss the problem. Do you still have the rubber cup that goes on the back of the horn button?
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Brian:

Thanks for the note. There is no rubber cup on the back of the steering wheel. Then again, there never was one that I remember.

I got a note from HarryD on the Pelican site - which I cross posted - and he said the same thing. Obviously can't get a rubber cup before tomorrow, but when I put the horn butterfly on again, and fiddled with it, it stopped beeping, and now it just beeps when you press down on the left side.

Well, half a horn is better than no horn.

So, tomorrow morning, I say goodbye to Kermit. Maybe I'll take some pictures of my delivery, just so that I have a complete set of pix, from restore to good-bye.

Then I can post something of a short tale.

The end of a two and a half year really fun time. But I'll be back - promise.

BTW - too bad tomorrow is Easter Sunday. Otherwise, I would have stopped by LaPorte on my way home and drooled at your RS and the rest of your stable. Have a happy Easter with your family.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Larry,

Sorry to hear you are finally letting go of Kermit. Take some photos, we know you will be back.

Someone is getting an easter bunny disguised as a Frog !
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295
    Zuffenhausen secret weapon

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Sounds like a job for some DuctTape to me!
    I hear Kermie is coming to MI... true? What part? You must still attend the Midwest jaunts you know!
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

The new owner lives in Detroit, and is buying the car for his son. He has had a long list of Porsches in his background including some early cars. I don't know if he has been a member of our group or not. He saw my ad in Pano.

I'll let you know how the inspection goes. If I can find my camera, I'll even take some pix of the swap-o-rama. (check for car)

later

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Hey Larry,

I tried to find you yesterday over in M.C to say 'Farewell' to Kermitt but you guys must have been at a different exit off I-94 (I was at Hwy 421/I-94). Hope it went smoothly, stay in touch.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Kermit

Larry, Kermit is the epitome of an icon.

Beautiful, just beautiful, that Viper Green

Karl
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Larry,
    Im keeping you in our email list whether you like it or not, so I hope you will stop by one of our drives from time to time. You can even drive my noisy, hard riding black car.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Brian - We were at that exit, Hwy 421 at about 12:20 central time. Sorry that we missed you.

This was the easiest sale you could possibly imagine. They were tickled with the car, there was no PPI, they didn't even want to take it for a drive - but I suggested it. They only drove it around the block. Gave me a check, and I passed over the title. They couldn't stop grinning.

Karl - Thanks for the comment. It really was a pretty nifty car, even though most of the midwest group was S's, I never got outrun or outshined (except for Cornpanzer's toolkit )

Dave - I would hope that you'd keep me on the list. I plan on attending the central US get-togethers (if you'll allow an MT6 Lexus) I expect that in another year or two, I will be rejoining the fold, with a car of a different color. But it's been a real trip. Not just the car, but being with all you guys.

I'll post some pix of the car - restoration and completion and sale on a thread soon for those who don't know of Kermit's Story. Just kind of a farewell post to Kermit.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC