Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I must admit...I like this E

I must admit...I like this E

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

That was listed last week under race car section.
    Phil

i see a $17k track rat.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

I like it too. With that build up $17K is way cheap. The reserve is just shy of $30K, probably closer to reality.

Chris
    2004 GT3 Carrara White with a few mods...
    2011 987.2 Spyder White, LWB's, 6 speed... Crazy Fun!!!

R #208
    S #607
    A #76

I have always thought that track cars go for a lower % of cost than street cars and i just don't see huge dollars on the car. Not knocking the car.

The ad is particularly wordy taking a lot of space to say things like 'two seats...', etc. 4 inches of screen space to tell me what color it is?

I see a fair amount of cost saving items (lexan windows, fiberglass dash, etc.) which might be great for weight savings but do not, IMHO, justify MORE money. Also curious why anyone would go to E spec w/ a T motor for a race car. Why not go S? Why not go 2.7? What is different about the top end that makes it fast? RS racing configuration?

I am probaby just showing my ignorance here but it's how the car strikes me. Maybe some nice stuff is not being detailed or i just don't realize i'm looking at high dollar parts.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

With a track car, it's not always the absolute cost of the parts, but the 'sorting' that adds value.

You really can't understand this until or unless you try building your own track car, and assign some value to your own time. A turnkey race car is worth a big premium to an experienced racer. A 'zero DNF' car is worth an even bigger premium, and a record holder will deliver the best return to seller and buyer.

BTW, lexan isn't a 'cost reduction' material, especially formed lexan like the rear window.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

No really built to be competive in any particular race class I am aware of. If you can recoup 30-40 % of your money in a "invested" in a race car you are doing OK. If you really want to compete at the front in anything but a spec class in a 911 you are looking well in excess of 100K to build professionally.
    Phil

I can't wait to read SITHOT's opinion on this one ....... come on Tom, lay it on me brutha !!!

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by pu911rsr
    If you really want to compete at the front in anything but a spec class in a 911 you are looking well in excess of 100K to build professionally.
    Phil
    Very true.....
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Mission Foods Porsche GT3 Cup USA Champion
    Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    Louis Chevrolet Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

Race cars and parts for sale; videos and photos at: www.alteregoracing.com

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." -Sir Winston Churchill

Is that Bruno's car? I think I might have talked to him a while back when I was doing research on colors for my car. Nice guy.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687