Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wires on euro spec turnsignal housing

Wires on euro spec turnsignal housing

Can somebody post a picture of the inside of the euro front turnsignal housing and the wires on the inside of the plastic cover on the back of the housing.

The euro version has some difference because of the parking light. On my euro car there has been installed US housings but they are rewired so that when you pull the light switch one notch the parking lights turn on, when the ignition is on and the lights switch are pulled all the way out both the headlights and the parking lights are turned on.

There are three wires, brown, black/white and purple/red going into the housing backing plate, is this the same on both euro and US?

Thanks
    John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

The wires to the light are the same, brown is ground, blk/whi is turn signal, and purple /red is for the marker light bulb. Yours is wired correctly for US market. For Europe there is a marker light bulb separated from the rest of the housing by a divider(behind the white lens portion) and there is no side marker bulb. You eliminate one of the copper contact strips, underneath the white plastic contact plate, that would otherwise illuminate the park light filament of the bulb. A separate wire is routed along the inside of the housing to the front marker light bulb. When any light is on only the front marker light bulb is illuminated, and then of course the turn signal filament with the turn signal on.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Edmayo; this is exactly the way it is wired on my car. For some reson the front turn signal houses has been changed too US houses, even if the car is a Euro model. What is strange is that the divider for the parking light is in place and looks original, but the wire for it is routed the way you describe and is probably not original. What I would like to see is how the wires for the parking lights are wired on the euro originals. A friend of mine just bought some repro turn signal houses from the Uk, they also have the divider but no bulbholder or wiring for the parking lights.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931

John - are the photos I posted in this earlier thread of any use ?

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ht=euro+wiring
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Thanks Andy

They are exactly the same as on my Euro 73. Strange, because that wiring dont look to "original" and if you look closely at the pics that you posted, it says USA inside the houses. Mine also says USA inside, thats why I thought they where US houses, but maybe they are not?

Are both the two rear bulbs supposed to light up when turning on the turn signal(if it is correct that euro spec houses also have three bulbs)?

BTW, in the pics you posted, do those houses have the small bulb for the sidemarker behind the reflex?

John
    Early 911S Registry #931

John,

For awhile they used the same base housings for the Euro and US varieties. If you look at the US housings there are two tits that are still in place for mounting the divider plate. They just don't install it for US. Thats why the original housings have several part numbers in the casting.

I've also seen one other housing type that has one of the bulb sockets plugged behind the Euro reflector.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Thank you Michael, I think I have got it now.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931

I'm doing this conversion now with fabricated pieces. It is not quite as easy as it appears. The main difficulty is the bulb holder - it is integral with the divider. The copper contact strip is riveted to the divider through a plastic insulator bushing as shown here. The bulb is a 4W - PN K15602. There is no 'rear' bulb, just the reflector. And the 'blinker' bulb (middle bulb) needs to be changed to a single-filament since it is not used as a running light any longer, just a blinker.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Here's the rear of the Euro housing with the reflector removed showing no bulb (and the 'USA' stamping).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Curt, if you have volume 12 #3 of the ESSES I submitted an article detailing how I did exactly what you're setting out to do, that is convert the USA light housing to EURO type. Of course after I did that I happened to part out a really rusted out Euro car and one of the few parts not rusted out were the front light housings, so I got my genuine units and didn't need my fabricated ones anymore. In fact I still have the pieces I fabricated, I'll give them to you if you want. The tricky part is getting that curve so the divider fits up against the inside of the lens.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.