Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad gas smell in garage & when driving a gas covering on my cloths?

Unhappy Bad gas smell in garage & when driving a gas covering on my cloths?

HELP PLEASE -I have a gas smell while driving & inside my garage? when driving I feel like gas fumes coat my cloths?? NOT GOOD!

THANK YOU

gas smell

check over flow system or clear lines under the trunk for lose fuel lines.

The lines from the US fuel/emission evap. system runs to a small plastic box under the driversside of the dash, two lines, one out one in, also there is a plastic container under the driversside fender that is conected to the fuel/emission evap. system. These box's tend to get cracks. As mentioned above the lines also get hard and brittle and gets cracks.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Talking Bad Smell

Hi

I had this on my MFI car, is yours a MFI equipped car? The reason for my car smelling so bad was that the injectors were so poor that they were not atomising the fuel properly so you were not getting a full burn and there for unburnt fuel was always present in the exhaust fumes. I would also do the other basic checks of the fuel enrichment system i.e. make sure that the washers in the choke are very clean and the correct number are there, and that the hot air pipe is sound to the choke above the tin ware and bellow, with the car hot and on tick over you should be able to feel the hot air coming out of the choke exhaust, you will need to take off the air box to get to this.

If your car is not MFI equipped then completely ignore me.

Kind Regards
    John #1022

1970 911E 2.2

bad gas smell

zithlord is right - I had a personal bad experience with the black plastic box under the dash - trunk side, sorta above clutch pedal. The box inlet tube cracked and every rt turn it smelled really strong of gas. And (don't ask how I know) the gas drips right on your wiring harness. Gas does ugly stuff to electrical tape on the harness, and the wiring insulation underneath so fix it quickly!

Chip

Talking i think my gas tank needs sealing or replaced how much is this going to cost?

i believe my gas tank is leaking at the seam in the middle - WHAT NOW??

what is the part number for the black box and is it still available and how much? if NLA who has one?

thanks
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

901 201 062 22 "container for ventilation"

Get a new "rubber ring" 901 201 618 22 while you're at it. That's what holds it in.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Pelican shows them available

box is apx. 100 and seal is 1.50. stoddard does not show them. i am inquiring at sunset porsche to see what kind of discount they will offer.

can you post a diagram from the parts book?

thanks for the part numbers.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

My black plastic box also went south, which was replaced, but also make sure to tighten the myrad of connections between the fuel lines. I found about half needed tightening. Between replacing the box and the connections, it made a huge difference (and I might live a year or two longer as a result.)
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell