Thread: Wheel locks…

Unhappy Wheel locks…

HELP !!!

I’m working on a car with a set of early Porsche wheel locks… and of course, NO KEY....

The frustrating part is that my mechanic friend has a bag of keys he’s collected in the last 35 years that usually does the trick… but he misplaced the bag…

So… after searching and reading most of the P.P. threads on this it seems I’m left with the option of TIG wielding some nuts on top of the locks…

These are on early deep 6’s… so the raised paddles don’t help the dilemma…

Are there any other miracles out there that I’m overlooking ……

Thanks and cheers,
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Chuck,
    IIRC, sombody makes a hardened socket with teeth that you can pound over the lock and hit with an impact gun. That may work?
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

If you were to lay you hands on some light gauge sheet metal you could fashion yourself up a heat/splatter shield to fit around the nut and protect the wheel. That way you could take the fear of welding the nuts on with little risk to damaging the wheel.

Given that the nut is probably in the 100 ft/lbs torque range plus perhaps corroded on a bit I think the welded nut is going to be the likely solution. With a good welder this should be a stress free job. Just a waste of time.

Good luck!
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornpanzer
    Chuck,
    IIRC, sombody makes a hardened socket with teeth that you can pound over the lock and hit with an impact gun. That may work?

I had this happen to me a night before I was going to the track a 21mm Craftsman 12 point socket worked for me just smack it on there with a hammer and using a breaker bar carefully rotate them off hopefully they were torqued correctly and not not hammered on there with an impact gun. I endend up cracking the socket good thing its a free replacement the other good thing about the sears sockets is the side wall is thin so it fits in there a little better then snap-on etc.
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

Well, after trying everything in my tool box and in my shop at home I went over to the local tire/wheel place by work and barrowed a toothed socket that they've been using to get these locks off for years... got it home and the size was not even close...

However waiting for me in the mail was a wheel lock key from our friend and member Harry Wong who read about my dilemma on the board.... After a couple of soft touches with a Dremel stone Harry's key hammered on just fine.... and off those bastard McGuard period dealer locks came... This after trying about 10 of Tony G. (TLG) keys and a whole bunch of other things...

Why Harry's worked and all the others didn't ... who knows...

Harry, you're a life saver........ and the beer's on me...

Is this message board cool or WHAT ??? ...

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I've got the same problem. PO doesn't have the key. Pound on a 21 or a stripped nut attachment perhaps? Anyone know how many different patterns were made for these?

Name:  wheel lock.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  70.3 KB
    Member #2419

1960 356 Super 90
    1968 911 Normal
    1973 914 1.7
    1978 Ferrari 308 GTS

Mac and/or Snap-on have special sockets just for that job in a range of sizes, in fact there was a post on this subject a few months ago complete with a picture of the tool.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...hlight=Snap-on

Thanks for the direction. I'll give it a try.
    Member #2419

1960 356 Super 90
    1968 911 Normal
    1973 914 1.7
    1978 Ferrari 308 GTS