Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 911 targa to coupe conversion

911 targa to coupe conversion

I want to convert my 73 targa to a coupe by swapping in a coupe roof. Does anyone have info or experience on this?
    thanks neil

Sounds like alot of work to me. I believe that the cars were constructed using different thicknesses of sheet metal. You would also have to change doors or door frames......

Is there a specific reason you would like a coupe over a targa? I always thought that targas held a slight premium over coupes. Is there a reason you don't sell your '73 and find another.
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

Quote Originally Posted by MoparBoy72
    I always thought that targas held a slight premium over coupes.
    You must have a targa too I am sure a few guys will correct your understanding of the market...

It's been done. Someone in Australia did this I think. For racing purposes. But why cut up an early targa effectively devaluing it when another person might want one? Why not sell it and buy a coupe instead? Cheaper and quicker.

+1 to Erwin's suggestion.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Its a common conversion here in the UK where you cannot sell Targas, nobody wants them and they are cheap. They make a good basis for race and rally cars as they have extra bracing comared to the coupe. Sorry but I dont have any technical details
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by nick-moss
    Its a common conversion here in the UK where you cannot sell Targas, nobody wants them and they are cheap. They make a good basis for race and rally cars as they have extra bracing comared to the coupe. Sorry but I dont have any technical details
    In defense of Targa's (even I have a coupe), over here on the european continent ( especially in the south) you
    probably do can sell Targa's - at least I know several happy owners.

Conversion: +1, rather (completly ?) devalue an early911, I would sell Targa or swap for a coupe.
    Registry member No.773

swap or sell and buy

+1. Even if for some reason converting were to be cheaper,think of resale value.

I can imagine that it would take some serious persuation to convince a potential buyer to acquire a Coupe baring the chassis number of a Targa....

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

I think Thom is selling these conversion tops in carbon fiber. I'm not sure if you're interested in a true conversion (i.e. one in which no one could tell it was converted) or something like Thom's conversion that uses a very visible seam.

http://www.rennlight.com/hardtop/

A true conversion would seem very difficult and costly to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

911 targa to coupe

I have seen and more often heard of the reverse quite alot in southern calif,
    where in the '80s and 90's it was common practice almost to sacrifice targas,and coupes to obtain cabriolets..
    Not so certain of the resale of these miami vice icons of style but myself for one wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole !!
    The window frame is cut to acommodate the new roof and section rear apron.. viola ,sunroof or coupe,take your pick!