Thread: WTK: 67S wipers, chrome, painted silver?

WTK: 67S wipers, chrome, painted silver?

I have searched forums and 15 years worth of magazines and found 'supposedly' original 67S cars with wiper arm color in all flavors including black. Peter Morgans 'Porsche 911' book states "Oct 66 as introduction of 67S" and in "August 1967 black arms left side park on LHD cars". My car was built 11/20/66 is Euro spec so per Morgan my car should not have black wipers and should not be parked on the left. I have black, parked left. I assume Morgan is correct and mine are supposed to be "silver' painted, chrome? and right parked. Question, what kind of finish do I need on the arms and did I understand Morgan correctly? Same for Euro/USA spec? Thank you.
    Early 911S member #166

I have no problem with the theory that all men are created equal.
    But after that moment you are on your own and nobody owes you a damn thing.

Mark,
    My '67S has a build date of 10/26/66, about one month earlier than yours. I belive the wiper arms and blades should be silver (not chrome) and should be parked on the right.

If yours are parked on the left it's a simple change to get them to park on the right. Disconnect your battery (for safety), pull out the water drain box in front of the wiper mechanism, losen the main wiper arm from the motor but don't remove it. Once it's lose enough to rotate, switch it about 180 degrees and retighten it up. Test it by taking your wiper arms off and putting a little masking tape around the stems the arms attach to. Leave a pointer of masking tape in the direction of the arms, reconnect the battery and test it. Once you're sure the the masking tape pointers point in the right direction when the wipers are on (so you won't scratch cowl paint or your windshield), reinstall your wiper arms and wiper blades and you're done.
    Good Luck.
    R.

Mark

I have done loads of searching on this subject as well and I have come to the conclusion that my 67S built August 66 should have (and does have) silver matt finish wipers parked to the right. To complicate matters mine is a RHD car and more than one person has said I am wrong. However, on all the period road tests on new rhd cars from 66 and on Porsche car adverts in the same magazines the photos show silver wipers parked to the right. I also have some period magazines from the US which also show LHD 66/67S cars with wipers in silver parked to the right as well. I know that at some point RHD cars switched to wipers parking to the left but I convinced this happened after 1966/7.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Does anybody have a paint code for the silver? My arms are getting pretty faded.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

You can try Stoddard wiper system silver for the 356, but the real deal were stainless, no paint, parked on the starboard side.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Thanks for the paint tip. I always thought my painted wipers were original to my car. This is the second one I've had with silver painted arms. I looked through some period magazine tests I have, and they sure look painted as well. Anybody else have some input on the subject?
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

65 wipers

Try these for a color match. The silver is paint and the rivits are stainless.
    (Photo from others)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370