Thread: '77 R90s

'77 R90s

I was at a client's today (import repair shop) and he showed me a '77 (i think i'm right on the year) R90S in original paint and apparently very nice condition that he is selling. Fired up and settled to a nice idle pretty quickly.

I am definitely not a beemer expert (just wanted one badly before my son was born) but my impression is that it is a nicely maintained bike. The owner runs a very busy import repair bsns and wrenches on some pretty exotic stuff.

If anyone would be interested in this i will be happy to put you in touch (not looking to make a buck; just happy to keep neat stuff within the enthusiast market).

I am waiting on good digital pics or can stop over myself if anyone is seriously interested.

He is asking in the 9.7k range.

Erik

edit==== after looking on ebay it seems 9.7k is a bit high...i will double check price with him.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

The R90-S was produced (year model) in 1974, 1975 and 1976.
    The first year was painted "Smoke Silver". First year bikes also had a kick starter; subsequently it was an option. First year bikes have a different seat cover and a number of other idiosyncrasies like alloy turn signals and minutia I won't get into here.

In 1975 Daytona Orange was offerred as a second color.
    When you approach 10K for one of these it HAS to be a very good and correct example. Many were made during the 3 year production and a lot of them have had the living daylights run out of them (although they are fairly bullet-proof).
    I've owned them. When new they were nearly $4,000! Think about that in terms of mid 70's dollars. (about $15,000 today) It was A VERY EXPENSIVE bike.

Best,

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I had a 74 R90/6 in 2002-2003 in NYC. What kind of add'l performance does the 90S offer? Looks like a front ferring would be standard. How about hp?

Hmm...bike has the fairing of course. Also has mag wheels vs. the wire. Color is black with gray on the tank.

Bike had electric start.

Does that offer any clues to year?
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

All 90Ss had wire wheels, so I supect yours has aftermarket or later R100 alloys.
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Wow, that's a bit of a dinger on the value then i'd think.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

Great bike the R 90S, winner of the first Superbike championship with Reg Pridmore aboard.

Money he's asking is high for an imperfect example. If anyone is interested Ian Faloon wrote a pretty good book.

If it is a 77 its likely a R100S, the second bike pictured below
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

I have own a 1974 R90/6 and have ridden R90S and the main difference is the S comes on stronger on the top end with a higher terminal speed over the /6 and that bikini faring does a nice job of smooth air flow around the rider.
    Ron

1973.5 911T
    1974 BMW R90/6
    1986 Carrera, Plan "B"
    1987 BMW K100RS Motorsport
    2004 BMW X3 6 speed manual transmisson

Air-cooled to the end
    One of our guys is a high-end motorcycle restorer, he has an immaculate '76 90S that he built up a few years back. Daytona Orange, same as Sithot's picture - a lovely bike. Some more pics on his website.