Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions: Owners keeping tool kits when selling

Opinions: Owners keeping tool kits when selling

I have a pet peve that I want to vent and get everyone's feedback on.....

When an owner sells his early 911 and keeps the tool kit......irregardless of circumstance.... what's the consensus?

Reason being is that very recently I was informed that the tool kit for the ultra low mileage '72T I used to own - minus the tool kit - came up for auction on Ebay last week.
    It failed to meet the reserve and the auction ended. Well by the detailed discription the person selling the tool kit put in the auction, the new and present owner identified it as the original and missing tool kit from his newly purchased 911T.

So how I understand it went down is that the holder of the tool kit (one of the former owners) was contacted by the new (and current) owner of the car after the auction ended and after some discussion it was agreed that it was indeed the original tool kit from the car. Then a price was agreed upon and the proud new owner of my former 911T bought back the tool kit that was issued at the factory for that specific 911T and was sold "new" with it.

So my point is, am I off base or is something wrong here?

My personal feelings are that a.) the tool kit should have never been taken from the car to begin with, irregardless of what ever the "then current" situation may have been and the previous owners reasons behind it,

and b.) when the holder of the tool kit was contacted by the new current owner and was basically "put between the cross hairs" so-to-speak, with no way to deny that that he had the original tool kit for a perfectly running, excellent condition 911T that he used to own, he should have done the honorable thing and gave them back, free of charge to the current owner.

The car was not cheap by any means as it is in pristine condition and had less than 27k orig. miles on it. It deserves it's newly discovered factory issed tool kit - but NOT at an add'l cost.

This is the type situation that helps to fuel the exorbitantly expensive tool kit black market that exists today in the swap meets we go to. I have no involvement in the situation other than my previous ownership and my own frustrated attempts to track down the tool kit that by all reasoning should have still been with a "time capsule" 911 with (at the time of my purchase...) had only 22k orig miles on it.

Anyway, Thanks for listen to my rant any and all opinions welcome....as long as you agree with mine
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

Well....

we could add Sport Seats and some other choice options as well that are regularly taken OUT of cars when they are sold....
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik
    I sold a 69S to Stacy, and the car went with the mint toolkit, but I added the tube of factory touch-up paint that was correct for the car, and a set of NOS coco mats as well.

e
    Damn! And here I always thought that the touch up paint and coco mats CAME with that car from the factory! I CAN tell you that my mechanic at the time was VERY impressed with the original Coco Mats....

AND, I might add, the 69s in question was passed onto its next owner (WOLFMAN) options intact!
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Quote Originally Posted by 69Sman
    Damn! And here I always thought that the touch up paint and coco mats CAME with that car from the factory! I CAN tell you that my mechanic at the time was VERY impressed with the original Coco Mats....
    Now you know why I am in sales....

"and see, this is the tube of paint that came with the car when it was delivered new to the original owner.....,I heard that you could only get these at the factory from the desk of Dr. Porsche himself"

e

Quote Originally Posted by RSupdate
    When an owner sells his early 911 and keeps the tool kit......irregardless of circumstance.... what's the consensus?
    Anyway, Thanks for listen to my rant any and all opinions welcome....as long as you agree with mine
    I'll go on record to say that pulling anything that was original to the car before selling it is a chicken sh!t thing to do. That's not my definition of an "enthusiast". I don't care how long that person has been dealing with a Marque. Now, taking non original things off a car like the non original sport seats that came with my car when I bought it and putting it back to original if I were to sell it is OK in my book.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Keeping it intact

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan
    I'll go on record to say that pulling anything that was original to the car before selling it is a chicken sh!t thing to do. That's not my definition of an "enthusiast". I don't care how long that person has been dealing with a Marque. Now, taking non original things off a car like the non original sport seats that came with my car when I bought it and putting it back to original if I were to sell it is OK in my book.
    I agree. That being said, when you are buying or bidding on a car, ask what is included with the sale BEFORE you discuss price or bid and I recommend specifically asking about the toolkit. That way, at least, you know what you are buying. By doing this, you will often end of with things that might have been held back if not specifically asked about when the seller was in a selling mood.

-Allen-

+1 <this is just a bunch of text that will allow the small text string I entered to pass the system censor>
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I agree that the purity of a low milage car should be respected and all items should go with it. This is especially so for optional goodies that would show up on a cardex.

A tool kit was included with every car to roll out of the factory, so it doesnt impact the purity of the car like say the extended hub steering wheel that disappeared from my car many years ago. That being said, at the very least it should be offered to the person purchasing the car. Disclosing that the tool kit is not part of the deal and offering it as an add-on , while not cool in my book, is less offensive than hiding it in a closet and pretending it never existed.

BTW, since pet peeve is the topic of the day, irregardless is not a word.....hehe
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

It just makes it hard for the next owner to have to hunt these things down. People like me, who've had to hunt down various things missing from the car. I'm still looking for a toolkit for mine...

Early 911 toolkits, pre 1969

correct ones are very hard to find. They should have Klein Screwdrivers, drop forged wrenches with large script and a unqiue to the early years, spark plug "socket"

-Allen-