Thread: What are the correct fog lights for RS?

What are the correct fog lights for RS?

Hi,
    maybe you can help me. Can anyone tell me how the correct fog lights are looking for the RS? There were 2 options, one for the horn grilles and one for the front bumber. I would prefer the 2nd if these are different from the horn grilles. I have a few Hellas but I do not really know which ones are correct. How was the mounting for the bumber ones? If you have pictures - that would be great! Thanks a lot,
    Alex

Alex

There were 8 options on the RS for additional lights. 6 of these were for fog lights. Have you got a copy of the 'RS book' ? Several are pictured in there.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

One of the options where Hella 118 mounted not in the horn grills but "upside down" under the bumper. I just read this in a tread at this forum a couple of weeks ago, in a tread about RS prototypes. Correct me if I am wrong.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Hi Mike,
    yes I have a copy of the RS book. But these lights are not very detailed.
    I would like to know the dimension and type of light. I would like to know if I have correct ones and how they were mounted under the bumper.
    This is what I have - both different but glasses are about 12cm in the dimension. Maybe you have pictures of cars equipped with additional lights.
    Thanks Alex

It's the one on the right.... that's the one that takes a halogen bulb. The one on the left is a "US" type of light found on US spec cars, and takes a tungsten bulb. Michael can help with that particular aspect of the US type light.

Here's the below bumper set-up on the Hella 118 lights, and a fairly good look at the mounting. The above/below fog could also have had a yellow reflector. The above bumper light could have been a driving light.

Eric
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thank you for the clearification Eric. So if I'm mounting the right one under the bumper - that is fine. I was told that the US type is very expensive, since pretty rare . But this was a guy in Europe. It also looks like a fog light of 914 in the bumper. But these were not chromed.
    I think I have to mke my own mounting or any Idea were to get those?
    Thanks Alex

those lights under the bumper may be historically correct but they just do not look right. to delicate for the RS in my opinion. Think the hood mount Cibie is the best look as opposed to horn grill or below the bumper IMO
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by yeti
    Thank you for the clearification Eric. So if I'm mounting the right one under the bumper - that is fine. I was told that the US type is very expensive, since pretty rare . But this was a guy in Europe. It also looks like a fog light of 914 in the bumper. But these were not chromed.
    I think I have to mke my own mounting or any Idea were to get those?
    Thanks Alex
    Alex, the US version is less expensive than the Halogen Euro version, at least here in the US. You are right, it is essentially a chromed 914 fog light. For correct application you want the European Fog, or driving lights just as seen on the Lilac RS. Note that the US version takes a tungsten bulb of 35watts, and you can easily run 100 watts halogen bulbs in the Euro versions (with correct relays). I'm not a big fan of the round fog lights below the bumpers, but I do like the horn grill lights, and the hood mount lights. If you are going to continue to mount the below round lights, the bracket will have to be home made, as there is no source at Porsche for them, and no aftermarket manufacturer either. I think the owner of the Lilac RS, Perry Lee, has posted a closeup pic of the bracket, but I don't know Perry's online name to do the search.

By the way, in the RS book there is one pic of an RS with the black Euro 914 fog light mounted in the horn grills...., page 138, but that's probably just a personally applied option.

regards,
    Eric

I'm torn with these. I like the look - and I've never liked the through-the-grille lights. The through-the-grille ones seemed to me to chop up the great lines of the car. I also have those exact Marchal yellow fog lights that I think would look good on my Viper Green '73.

I will have to see if Eric sells those brackets https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...+bumper+lights. I checked out the bottom of my bumper. I have two holes on each side that seem to match the two holes shown in Eric's bracket picture. I guess one is for the bolt and one is for the wire. I also note that on the back side of my bumper, there is a diagonal brace that goes over one of the holes. I guess that's the wire hole.

But the one thing that worries me is risk of damage. If the lower bracket risks hitting something, that could do a lot of damage to the bumper itself. I don't ever recall scraping the bottom of my lip. But maybe this is just enough to hit when it didn't before.

FYI, Eric does not sell the brackets. I just bought the original brackets from these guys: https://www.freisinger-motorsport.de

They are perfect, just like the pictures. Lights going on this weekend.

Pictures of installed: https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...35#post1142035
    Last edited by Jay Laifman; 01-01-2023 at 09:59 AM.