Thread: Midwest "S"-Historic Route 66 drive?

Midwest "S"-Historic Route 66 drive?

Is there any interest in a short Historic Route 66 drive? I have found this site; It lists a lot of stops, restored relics and such. We would meet in downtown Chicago early on a Saturday morning (hopefully beating the tourist rush). I don’t know how far anyone would want to go. I was leaning towards a day trip. Maybe Bloomington or Springfield?

In Illinois we really don’t have any exciting twisting roads or grandiose mountains, just flat roads and some neat landmarks.

Date wise I was hoping for some time in June. Have a gander at the site and see all of the landmarks they have listed
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

Hi Andrew,

I bought my 65/911 from a friend nearby Chicago and drove it (w/o license plates! ) all the way to California over the old Route 66 (took as much of the old, ancient road as possible). It was a fantastic adventure and especially the Midwest still had a lot of R66 buildings and landmarks left (and restored).

I will do it again if the opportunity is there. I wish I could join you!

Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Richard,

What a fun adventure and in a great car too! I'm sure you rehersed what you were going to say if your were pulled over. "...No, I did not steal it...the license plate must have blown...I mean fallen off...". It is just a day trip but the passenger seat is still open.
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074