Thread: Splitting the Fan?

Splitting the Fan?

My poor old fan really needs some proper restoration work. I want to have the center re-plated and the mag part cleaned up a little. From what I understand, it's necessary to split the fan into the two seperate peices by removing the rivets. Has anyone done this or know of a company offering this service?

Thanks
    David

You do need to remove the center hub if you wish to replate it (Cad or Zinc)
    The best way to do this is to drill out that aluminum rivits from the back side.
    The hub will then slide out. It is not a uniformly distributed hole pattern so there is only one way to reassemble the two pieces. So it is safe to assume you will not disrupt the balance of the assembly when it is all refurbished and back on the engine. I use counter sunk screws and locking nuts to reassemble. I intend to machine some repro rivets but have not done so yet. I believe that I have read that you should not dissemble these but I feel it is fine to do so.
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Supertec does this if you would prefer not to mess with it yourself. I think they have the proper rivets.
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Hi Scott,

Brilliant! Do you have a web address for them as I'll need to post it to them if they're in the States.

Thanks in advance
    David

David

Alan Drayson (Alan.UK here on the S registry & on DDK) can do this for you.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Thanks Andy, that's good news. I'll drop Alan an email.

Cheers
    David

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Does anyone know the dimensions for the screws you need to reattach the fan hub, please? Plan to replate my hub and would rather use countersunk bolts/screws to reattach, along with a locking nut. Thanks!