Thread: H1s versus H4s??

H1s versus H4s??

My 73 T is mid way through a full resto. and conversion to an R type 2.7 driver. The car has H1s and as I am trying to augment my resources for the most important components of the project, I am considering selling them pocketing a few $ and buying H4s. Could someone describe to me why the H1s are so coveted? Is there a performance advantage in their luminousity/power? or is the difference one of collectibility alone?
    THANKS

The H-1 light has two bulbs and the H-4 has one. The appearance is different in that the top of the glass is clear on the H-1 and foggy (not clear on the H-4). The insides are different in that the reflector and wiring do not match the H-4 lights.

I cannot help on which provides better lighting that the other, but I have other cars with H-4 and H-5 lights and do not see much of a difference on the low beam. My H-5 lights do appear brighter on high beam than the H-1 lights.

If you have the H-1 lights ready to go, use them as they are 100% correct for your car. Most early 911 owners use the H-4 lights and that is probably because they cannot locate a good set of H-1 lights, they are less expensive and some do not care about the originality theme. If you install the H-1 lights, you will stand out a bit as they are less common.

Good luck
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    My suggestion is to keep the H1's and use the H4's. That's what I did. I was constantly overdriving my H1's. I live in Topanga Canyon. My drive home from PCH is about six miles of twisty canyon road that features about a 1/4 mile strip of street lights. But if you mostly drive in well-lit city/suburb areas, you may not notice that dramatic a difference between the H1 and H4 lights.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

If you were overdriving your H-1's I would suspect that were not adjusted properly. My H-1's on high beam light up the road beautifully. But then I'm running 100 watt bulbs on the high beam.
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    I had no troubles with the high beams but I needed brighter low beams. I have the same issue currently with my 914/3.2 -- weak low beams, great high beams. Anyways, the H4's provided everything I needed for my 911E. I wish there was an H4 option for my 914.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

When you adjust H1's, do you adjust the lower beam first, or do you need to adjust the high beam first?

I know that one reflector bowl controls the other, but I can't remember which one...

Thanks.

H1 Vs H4

Quote Originally Posted by SandyI
    I had no troubles with the high beams but I needed brighter low beams. I have the same issue currently with my 914/3.2 -- weak low beams, great high beams. Anyways, the H4's provided everything I needed for my 911E. I wish there was an H4 option for my 914.

Thanks for info...I agree completely with that assessment based on my use of the H1s. I was always having to run highbeams because the low beams were too dim. Bottom line, is the H4 performance, (brightness, intensity), equal to or better than an h4 in your estimation

The two beams on H-1's are totally independent, that's why there are 4 adjustment screws, two for each beam. There is a procedure in the shop manual for adjusting them. I start with that then try to find a dark road/parking lot where I can fine tune them. The low beam has a very sharp upper cutoff design so as not to blind oncoming traffic as much. Because of that, low beam adjustment is very critical.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

H1's vs. H4's

In the early 1980's when H1's were available and inexpensive I bought a set and installed them on my '73S Targa. I didn't take much time to adjust them and headed to a DE event at Willow Spings in the S. Cal desert. I found myself driving high desert roads after the sun went down... and it became clear that I had not adjusted my H1's down enough. So I drove on low beams and stayed in the right lane of a four lane high desert road. I got several flashes from other drivers but it seemed that I wasn't too much of a problem until one driver decided to make a point of my (low beam) lights being a little too bright. We were in the high desert, on a long flat stretch. He flashed me repeatedly and wouldn' stop as he approached from probably 1/2 to one mile away. I hung in the right lane of a four lane divided road with my low beams on hoping he'd just leave it alone. But he was on a mission and continued to flash at me. Finally, he got to me. I'd tried to be polite. I knew my H1's weren't adjusted correctly but he wouldn't let up. After his repeated flashes I flashed up from my low beams to my high beams. The entire desert lit up as with a flash bulb. I immediately went back to my low beams. After that, he never flashed at me again.

So...H1's vs. H4's....yes they almost look the same...but they aren't even close.

Rich

H1 Vs H4

Thanks Richard. Your story convinces me to keep the H1s.

Is there a reccommendation that you would make as to bulbs for high and low?

Dean