Thread: Race prepared SWB LWB speed difference

Race prepared SWB LWB speed difference

Hi All
    Difficult question to answer this I know but can anyone quantify in terms of time the speed difference between SWB and LWB 911's driven around the same circuit with both cars (as far as practicable) having identical weight, power, suspension, brakes, tyres etc? I'm hoping to get a SWB race car up and running for the Historic Roadsports series in the UK. SWB and LWB 2.0L cars are allowed so I was wondering just how much of an advantage a LWB car would have?
    Thanks
    Steve

Steve - have you spoken to Robert Barrie ?

His username here (& on DDK) is one-two.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

That's a great question Steve,

We have a few vintage sanctioning bodies that run both 2 liter LWB and short... And a few shops that specialize in the 2 liter Porsche events...

Make a call to Phil Bagley at Klub Sport in Florida...
    Also Frank Beck, at Becks Porsche in Arizona...
    Also Dave White Racing in Tampa Florida...

These guys prep some of the best out there...

http://www.klubsportracing.com/index...id=4&Itemid=27

http://www.becksporsche.com/

http://www.davewhiteracing.com/

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Re speed differences SWB LWB

Thanks guys I'll give the experts a call to get their opinion. It's pretty much a rhetorical question though as I'm fairly committed to the SWB route.
    Very improbable but it'd be great to get a few laps in each just to see what the times were like.
    Steve

very good Q

I have a very early swb 67 911s built in 1966 chassis (305634S) engine (960175). It is fairly light with 3/4 tank of gas and 200lb in driver seat car weight is 2300 lbs full interrior. Car sites very low on 205/50-50 kumos on 6 1/2" minilites all around rear has 3/8" spacers and tires set inside fenders. Front rs style spoiler,duck tail, Alum. engine case and trans case witch are heavyer then mag. cases. All windows are still glass. Yellow sport Konis all around, stru. T-bar 21/26,19mm f/r sway bars, headers with bursch exhaust. Alum.fromt calipers rear stock S calipers. So the back is a little lighter then stock. Car handels very well but even with short gears in trans the car is still not as quick on a road course like Gingerman Raceway as other cars in its PCA club racing class. In vintage racing it is much more competive then PCA. If a person would flair out rear fenders and get more rubber on rear then the car can run with much bigger engine cars. The handeling has never been the problem the torq of 2.0L at low RPM is the biggest problem.
    Grover #53
    1967,911-S

SWB vs LWB

This is a qoute I found from Duel Motorport (www.duel.nl) about the set up that they use:

"Intrax

In the past years we’ve developed a fully adjustable shock absorber set to fit the early Porsche’s (1965 – 1975).
    These shock absorbers are available for race/rally and street use.
    With these shock absorbers we managed to let the short wheelbase Porsche’s handle even better than the long wheel base ones with new Bilstein or Koni shock absorbers."

Re speed differences SWB LWB

Thanks David another phone call to make on Monday then
    Steve

I have raced (and owned) both. The SWB is easier to play with in turns (inherent "fault") which (if driven properly) should/could yield faster lap times. I currently race a LWB and I'm on par with a similarly prepared car (same everything except for the tub).
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Mission Foods Porsche GT3 Cup USA Champion
    Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    Louis Chevrolet Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

Race cars and parts for sale; videos and photos at: www.alteregoracing.com

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." -Sir Winston Churchill