Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RS #1247 surfaces in Beirut

Wink Great time capsule!

Great photographs and story!

Interesting to note that if restored exactly like it is in these photographs, lots of people would probably jump saying the Durant mirror is wrong, as is the chromed rear bumpers, the lightweight interior in contrast to the Touring body, etc..... not to mention the steel "safari" bumper! And yet that's the way it raced....

Nick, out of curiosity, how would you have chosen to restore it? the way it was delivered new, as a Touring RS without the ducktail lid, or the way it was modified for racing as shown here?

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

I think the rear skid plate and mud flaps need to stay for sure.

The car was ordered as M471 so it should stay in that configuration with the interior at least. The round mirror is correct as it was ordered with a passenger side mirror so there should be a round mirror on both sides of the car. I am interested to see the rear lid is original but instead of the PORSCHE decal, it has the metal letters. Never seen that combination. Looks like the lid and license plate panel are AL? Cool find.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Quote Originally Posted by nick-moss
    It's a hazard with the proverbial "barn find". How much do you offer to secure the car without offending or giving away the potential value?
    (
    Nick,
    So was the original offer too high or too low? How did your friend track that car down?
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

I am not able to divulge the bids, but the first was certainly too low and the winning one was high! I'm sorry about the quality of the pics, but that's all I have. The end state would not have been down to me, but just to get it running ang legal would have been fun.

Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

I thought I remembered reading this before. Check out this entry in the running model changes as stated in 'Carrera RS'.

"April 9, 1973 .......M471 gets trim like M472 and steel rear bumpers (horns without rubber)"

So the rear bumpers are original to this car as it was produced in 5/73. Hope the new owner does his homework before he has the car restored.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Brian - as you may remember, this is the original aluminium engine lid from #1576 (supplied with the ducktail-delete option) - it was removed from the car in the mid '70's & had been on the top of the original owner's wardrobe for ~ 30 years before I bought it !

Perfect condition with original paint (lilac) & came with it's as new original rear wiper assembly - it too has the metal Porsche letters:

Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Andy,

Yeah, I do remember it now. I had forgotten about the metal letters on that lid (I tried to put it out of my mind after I missed it on eBay )
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar

Rs#1247

I looked into my RS records, and found that that particular car was stolen in the UK from Mike Moore, years ago??? Even had some pictures of it...
    But it looks like that I am wrong, the Lebanese car is the real deal. So where did I mess up?

Thanks,

Cees
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Who knows what happened when

Quote Originally Posted by fryardds

So the rear bumpers are original to this car as it was produced in 5/73.
    Brian, where are you getting this date? As you know, I own #1248, and the 'Production Completion Date' is 4/17/73. ALL the date stamps I have found on the car (the unused space saver spare, speedo etc) are stamped 4/73, AND, as recently discovered, the doors (other panels unknown) are the thin sheetmetal...
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Cees - you are correct !

Eric Linden (Soterik) posted this note almost exactly a year ago to say that a friend of his had RS #1247 stolen from a private garage in the UK :

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ghlight=stolen

I'll pm Eric to point him towards this thread...
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105