Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carrera 3.0

carrera 3.0

Obviously these are not early 911's but are of interest. I was offered a one owner low mile 3.0 yesterday. They sound interesting but I don't know much about them. If there is someone out there with knowledge of these please let me know. Also, if available a web site would be helpful. thanks

These were built on a 3.0 Turbo case, 2.7 6 bolt crank, 200 hp. Basically a little more powerful and a little lighter than an SC. Used to be considered a grey market car so they wern't any more valuable than a SC but that stigma no longer applies and they have become collectable. Make sure car is straight and free of rust, many of thse have been riden hard and hung up wet.
    Phil

Also keep in mind the speedo's were replaced on these when they were brought up to US DOT standards so make sure mileage claim is well documented.
    Phil

Air-cooled to the end
    I have the ex-GeorgeK Continental Orange '76 Carrera 3.o. There is a website for the car at www.continentalorange.com. I'm currently building a tech section for my car and C3's in general and will add it in sometime soon. The motor is different in character to an SC (got one of those also), much revvier and they make a great noise. Great drive, but then my car is under 2200lbs, which helps. Already done one track day at Silverstone GP circuit and we are in Spa with it later this month.

Just fixed a fuel pressure issue, and now enduring the pain of giving the government yet more money: paying the import taxes into the UK from Switzerland. Short term plans include fitting EFI with Megasquirt, 964 cams and some r-compound tyres. I adore this car, there is no other word for it

Hi John - always loved that car (& even considered buying it myself)...
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

My advice is not to pay more than you'd pay for a similarly equipped SC in like condition. The fastest 3 liter car is the 81-83 RoW SC. There is no appreciable difference between a C3 and a 78-79 US car or a 78-80 RoW car. The later US SC's (80-83) are definitely slower, and they all have A/C, so they're heavier, too.

I've owned and/or driven examples of all.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Tom,
    That is an interesting obsevation. I owned a 79 SC and my father in law has a 76 C3, I could never tell the difference. Everyone else has always thought the C3 to be a superior car. I haven't driven an SC or C3 in years and I don't know if my impression would be different.
    Phil

Ferry:

IMHO,....a real neat car.

I've only driven one of these and with its rebuilt engine, was a lot faster than a stock SC.

They made 1093 of these cars and to some people (myself included) find them quite desirable. Just be aware of the early Dilavars, and the care & feeding required of any CIS car since some of those unique K-Jetronic parts are now NLA.

JohnG:

Your Orange car is spectacular and if you get a moment, would you be kind enough to shoot some close-up pics of the rear bumper where the rubber overriders were removed? That looks real clean and I'd like to see what George did with that.

TIA, sir.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

I've always thought that the attractive thing about C3's is their inherent track potential because of the light chassis and the engine case. The motor can be rebuilt using a 66mm short stroke crank. You could build a 2.8L shortstroke with 95mm P+C's or even better a 3.0 shortstroke with 98mm P+C's.

A shortstroke 3.0 with ITB's and RSR cams would be a riot.
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

Air-cooled to the end
    Thanks Andy and Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@Rennsport
    would you be kind enough to shoot some close-up pics of the rear bumper where the rubber overriders were removed? That looks real clean and I'd like to see what George did with that.
    No problem, have added a page to the website showing what George did - click here for more details and pics. It's a very tidy job. This was it after paint:

Even with fuel pressure issues, so running lean and losing power over 4k RPM (though still showing 202bhp on the dyno), this car leaves my very healthy and fairly light 208bhp RoW SC Cabriolet behind. Part of it is less weight, part is this car's 7:31 R&P, but part is just the wonderful motor, it is so revvy and the 60-90 dash in third is totally addictive. Looking forward to having it breathing better, with EFI and cams one end and SSIs the other.