Thread: Will miss you boyz at the RGruppe Shin-Dig

Will miss you boyz at the RGruppe Shin-Dig

Hey all you RGruppers.

Just wanted to let y'all know that your old filmmaker buddy and MC of previous years' dinners at the RGruppe SPECTACULAR was planning on driving up this morning, but got TAGGED by an 82 year-old man who ran a red light in Burbank the other day.

He didn't even know what he had done. He did not hit the brakes, so there was no aural warning at all...just...SLAM!

At first, as my mind went into immediate over-drive, I thought, "Wow...someone just got tagged right next to me."

Then, as the car parts started flying over my hood (got slammed on the passenger side), I realized..."Hey...wait a minute...those are MY parts flying over my own hood."

Then it was brake and counter steer to avoid the traffic light pole and the 2 pedestrians on foot on the corner.

Luckily, I was NOT IN MY 72S!!

If I had been...it would be D-O-N-E. No doubt about it.

As it was, my 10 month old, looked like brand new Toyota Tacoma Dualie sustained $12K in damages. I wish to God they would just total it. But I think they're gonna fix it.

Oh yeah...did I mention that the old guy was driving a 1988 LINCOLN??!!

An actual freakin' TANK plowed into me!

So...no long drives up any coast for this GRupper this week. And definitely not in my ST seats in my 72, supportive though they may be.

My neck is killing me...but I'm gonna be fine. I've been a pain in the neck or ass to so many over the years as an indie film producer and director...it's only fair payback.

Plus, the Burbank Police and Paramedics and I all agreed that there was much to be thankful for. The cop said, "It's a good thing you were in that Toyota truck. They're tough."

I swear to God, that's exactly what he said. And I immediately started looking around, thinking that it was all just a set-up for a commercial and the whole thing was being filmed and that was the big pay-off tag line.

And then my Allstate guy, whose office was 2 blocks from the accident, was Johnny-On-The=Spot, at the scene in 2 minutes, standing helpful guard over me and my truck. That's when I was utterly confident that Allstate was ALSO filming a commercial there, with me and my truck as the "When bad things happen to good people" protagonists.

Then we all agreed that it was actually a blessing that the guy hit me and my truck, as he should not have been driving, was an accident just WAITING to happen, and that if he had hit some college kid in an old Civic, he could've killed somebody.

Lessoned learned: NO ONE IS SAFE FROM THE 88 LINCOLN AND ITS ORIGINAL OWNER!!

The damn thing was bigger than my first New York City apartment!

And last...my other favorite moment was when I walked around the twisted metal that was my new truck, to check on the driver and the passenger of THE TANK, to find his passenger, with a collar bone broken by her seat belt, looking at me with a most hideous PLEADING look, and exclaiming, and I quote, " LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE TO ME!!"

That was the moment when I realized that I had better find a witness and fast.

Okay all...have fun up there...be fast AND safe...and know that I miss y'all and all the 911s something fierce.

I'll do something special for ya' next year. Maybe Il'll make a COMPARISON VIDEO. I can compare what Porsche and German engineering were crafting in 1988...and...what Lincoln was making out of RETIRED BATTLE SHIPS in 1988!!

I'll see y'all on the R-oad.

Cain

RGruppe 212

First thing, real reason Allstate guy was there so fast was he wanted to tag the other guy with fault and make sure there was someone else's insurance co. to go after. second he wanted to make sure you were not hurt on the scene which Allstate can use against you in future.

Best advice

1) most in LA have realized best thing to do is claim uninsured motorist even if they know who hit them.
    2) call for a ride to the hospital in an ambulance regardless of whether you think you are injured or not
    3) call the best attorney you can afford to handle your claim.

best of luck with this major hassle
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Very sorry to hear that, Cain. You'll be missed.

Hope the injuries don't get any worse. I'd get yourself checked out now, and again in a couple of weeks. It's not uncommon for these things to lie dormant for a while and then flare up.

sorry to hear that

boxster gave you good advice - often injuries can show up long after the actual accident

the guy was 82? doesn't even know what he did? Ask the cops and/or Ins. Co. if they can force him to get re-tested for a driver's license. There are way too many really old people driving who shouldn't be... think of all the news reports of some oldster driving thru a plate glass window while trying to park, hitting the wrong pedal, etc.

Caine,
    Sorry to hear about the mishap. Glad you're okay though. Make sure you're okay with a visit to the Dr. There'll be other trips.

Sherwood

As it turns out, I'm out too (work deadline I can't get out of). I'm bummed. This is the first R Gruppe meet that I'm going to miss.

Everybody have a safe time.