Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restoration Design: What's the latest?

Restoration Design: What's the latest?

Anyone have any up-to-date gouge on Resto Design?

I placed an online order yesterday (5/3/07) for floorpans (used my plastic...). My thought was: "Let's see how they do..." given the recent discussion here about their general issues.

I just hope they're "back on their feet" now, as I can really use the product...

Anyone? any insight?

Cheers
    Thom

Thom Do not be afraid to use the phone number to fallow up on the order. If he has it in stock your all set. Ya just have to stay on top of Bill there. The front pan and tank support that I finally recived from him were real nice and so far a good fit. Would buy from agin .

Good Luck and Regards.
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress

All is well...

I called their shop today (5/4/07) and the order has shipped (already ) . Bill's a pleasant enough guy to work with...I should see my pans in about a week.

Totally stoked...

cheers
    Thom

I hope you two are getting the doubler plates that need to weld in from the inside of the front pan to reinforce the captive nuts that the forward end of the control arm bolts to. Failure to use those can result in the control arm s pulling out the weld nuts some day. This part is available from Porsche, as far as I know no one selling the replacement pans includes these, although I don't know why not. I'll bet a lot of pans are put in without these.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Wasn't even aware of this...

Hi, Ed,

Thanks for the heads up...I had no idea.

At any rate; I think what we're going to do is a "cut & graft" utilizing the original pan. I'll be cutting patch panels from the new stuff (from restoration design) and migging them in. I didn't want to get into tearing out the original pan in it's entirety...However, given your tip, I will check everything out before actually cutting anything.

Again, thanks. The wealth of collective knowledge on this site never ceases to amaze me!

Cheers
    Thom

Don't get too excited about his "already shipped" statement. He is known to tell you what you want to hear, not necessarily the reality. But he has given good service to some...let us know when you get the items.

doubler plates

Ed: what exactly are the doubler plates? I bought I replacement front pan from restoration design but have no idea what these are. I assume they somehow cover the captive nuts??
    thanks.
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by rngpc
    Ed: what exactly are the doubler plates? I bought I replacement front pan from restoration design but have no idea what these are. I assume they somehow cover the captive nuts??
    thanks.
    This is simply an arched reinforcement plate that welds on top of the 2 primary a-arm attachments for strength. Highly recommended.

i ordered my pan and tank support in December.

now where did i put that Stoddard catalog?
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

old softie67S

Recent experience

I sat at my computer for hours detailing an on line order for 356 sheetmetal on 4/1/07 , entered my credit card # and submitted the order. Because it took hours and was a real pita, I printed the screen to adobe pdf before I shut my browser. The site said I woud get a call once shipping was calculated before my card would be charged. After 2 weeks nothing. I called and left a vm. Two more weeks pass, nothing, and I call again on 5/4/07. As I am leaving my second voice mail, Bill picks up. From the heavy breathing, it is clear to me he was running to get to the phone from the shop floor. I identify myself but Bill can not find any mention of my order on his web server. He is very attentive and we exchange 3 calls over the next two days. I locate the pdf, of my order on his server page and confirm the date showing on the order as 4/1/07. I print and fax the pdf of the order to Bill on 5/7/07. He contacts me and tells me he is baffled because he can clearly see the my order was placed because the fax of the order showing his web screens are unmistakable, but can not find the order on his server. He is very helpful running through the long list telling me which items are back ordered and gives me a time line for delivery of those items about one month out. The vast majority is on his self and he would pack them and shipped immediately. My order is finalized on 5/8/07.

Bill was nothing but helpful, concerned and professional in his dealings with me. He even refered me to a different vendor for a part he does not make. His web site may need some attention. I will post when the parts arrive.

tom
    Tom

67S soft rear window
    60 356 Cab
    70 914-6 3.2 short stroke twin plug
    05 Audi S4 Cabrio (commuter)
    05 Audi Alroad (family driver)
    Aprilia SR 50R (Sanibel scoot)