Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh the humanity!!! (think grinder, mig, POR)

Oh the humanity!!! (think grinder, mig, POR)

I pulled the condensor and protective 'basket' under the front pan yesterday and did some more digging around. I noticed an area a few inches from the driver's side front suspension mount was 'flexing'. The result of nothing more than thumb pressure was this:
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

pic didn't attach first time.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

i am resolved to do this job myself. i am 2 weeks into a welding class which i took to determine my ability to learn to weld and so far i am doing pretty good with the stick welder. mig is next but the instructor tells me if i can put down a nice bead with a stick welder i will certainly be able to work a mig machine nicely as well with some practice.

i am ordering a spot weld cutter set today

Lots of pics will accompany this job.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

Be sure to take a look at this article -

http://www.stuttgartperformanceengin...nkarticle.html
    Kjell "Shel" Nelin
    72 911T
    69 E-type OTS
    73 Lancia Fulvia
    Registry Member #1099
    Kjell Gruppen Member #1

http://web.mac.com/alfaguy/Site/1972_911T.html

I also have a power point presentation that I did many years ago at Rainbonnet, you can view it at http://webpages.charter.net/mayo maybe it will be of some help.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by berettafan

i am ordering a spot weld cutter set today

Lots of pics will accompany this job.
    I need to do this job soon myself. Where are you ordering the spot weld cutter set?

I'm looking forward to your pics!
    -Scott
    1987 911 turbo
    In the past - '71 T, '77 S 3.6, '80 SC, '88 3.6 cab

tooltopia.com. some available on ebay as well but tooltopia shipped quickly the last time i placed an order so i will stick with them. i found mention of the Blair brand working well so i am going with them.

i started wire brushing last night and will get some photos of my progress shortly. i did find that the flapper discs create a lot of sparks so i switched to the knotted wire brush on the grinder. It works very nicely and doesn't heat the metal to red hot like the flapper disc did.

one issue i have come across already though is the 'box' in the front pan for the front condensor. it is apparently a separate piece that was spot welded in (i had thought it was pressed into the part). not sure if that will be difficule to remove or not given the tight space it creates between the 'box' and tank support.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

EDMAYO; great link and work! In your web presentation there are some pictures missing.

Picture in these slides are missing:

Right side welded in
    Left side clamped and fitted
    New piece of metal formed
    Finished tank support
    Test fit doubler
    Tow hook welded on

Could you please post them?

I copied the whole presentation over to Word, do you mind if I share it with a friend? Its easier to work with Word.

Best regards
    John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

I bought my spot weld cutter at Wurth. They have 6, 8 annd 10mm.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Ed, WOW! Thanks for taking the time to put together such a nice presentation.

What did you use to strip the paint from the rear portion of the trunk? i am using knotted brushes to clear up the spot welds and such in my work area but would prefer a different method (aircraft remover?) for the remainder of the trunk.

Erik

btw, Zith how did you save that file as a word file?
    Erik

Early S # 1107