Thread: Substitute seals for front splash pan

Substitute seals for front splash pan

The front and rear seals for the front splash pan (the one that bolts under the steering rack and brake master cylinder) are, apparently, NLA from Porsche. Has anyone found an alternate source, or an effective substitute?
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Apparently Stoddards has a repro/ substitute.
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Thank you. I should have thought of Stoddard.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Tom -

Get a Boxster rear trunk seal. That works perfect. You will have plenty left over - perhaps you could cut it up and get a few sets out of it. Last we did this at the shop the seal was about $58. I am sure prices have changed, but it worked out.

Keep us posted.

Tom, If you go the Boxster route, I may be interested in the excess. I'm tracking a body creak in the front end and think its there. Will be getting it up in the air this coming week and I'm still planning on the limerock lunch coming up.

joe
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937

Joe, I think I revived my original seals well enough to reuse them. In fact, they're in the car now. So, I won't be buying the Boxster seal. (Thank you for the tip, however, James.)

Joe, the front end creaks that I've heard are either sway bar or control arm bushing related. If it's control arm, the shaft housing the torsion bar gets far enough off center that the torsion bar can rub against the inside. Then, the bar breaks. So, you should probably check out the control arms.

I should have bought the rest of that rear bumper from you. Do you still have it?

Tom
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar

Skid seals

Hi,

Last year the front seal was still available from Porsche here in Europe. The rear seal is available from Mittelmotor in Germany, part no 1,41054. Front seal from them has part no. 1,41052.

Cees

what exactly are these seals?

if we are talking about the flat sheet metal under the rack and master cylinder, does it have rubber seals at the front and rear??

anyone have pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom F.

Joe, the front end creaks that I've heard are either sway bar or control arm bushing related. If it's control arm, the shaft housing the torsion bar gets far enough off center that the torsion bar can rub against the inside. Then, the bar breaks. So, you should probably check out the control arms.

I should have bought the rest of that rear bumper from you. Do you still have it?

Tom
    Thanx for the creaking tip. As you know, the entire suspension has been redone.... except for the sway bars so my next place to look is there.

BTW, the other rear bumper ended up going ti Spain. (Ain't it a small worl w/ the internet). I still have the center panel.
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937