Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any recommendations for insurance?

in the market for a 997

Any recommendations for insurance?

My current insurance company recently recommended that I find a different company that specializes in antique / collector vehicles because of some fuzzy explanation that their stated value policies are not entirely reliable / cost effective. Do any of you have insurance that you're particularly happy with and would recommend?

I have used Hagarety for the past three years and have been pleased. The customer service is excellent and the rates reasonable. I also like their newsletter. I have NOT made any claims and that is always the true test of an insurer, so I cannot attest to how they handle that process.
    Keith E.
    Early 911S Registry #941
    1978 911SC Dirty Penny

I use both State Farm and Parish Heacock (Heacock Classic now). Heacocks Gary Gandy is a fellow member and owner of a very neat early car (actually its featured on his business card !) + a 914/6. Very nice guy too!

I don't remember Gary's screenname but their website is: www.heacockclassic.com

No relationship to Heacock other than as a policyholder.
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Mission Foods Porsche GT3 Cup USA Champion
    Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    Louis Chevrolet Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

Race cars and parts for sale; videos and photos at: www.alteregoracing.com

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." -Sir Winston Churchill

Hagerty and St. Pauls are two that I have used. Only first hand experience is that Hagerty will not insure the car for what you think it's worth rather what they have as book value, unless you value it higher. St. Pauls is less picky. When these companies were allowing coverage for club drivers ed events (not sure if they still do so) I knew of several claims. The common element was very critcal inspections after the claim. If they see anything like rust or previous damage, they deduct from the total. If anything is out of spec like mileage or performance upgrades that were not listed they would deny the coverage. I had been told that detailing the car after the damage will keep the claim close to the valued amount since they could also decuct for what they precieve the overall condition of the car was before the crash. After having said this, I know that they had paid full amounts (the guy who detailed the car after a PCA event crash at Lime Rock) and all you have to do is to read the policy and know what is covered and what outs they have. It's a business after all. As for buying the car back after they total the car, it has always been on the high side, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Hope this helps, Good luck, Allan
    1971 911S with Factory Recaro Sport Seats, 100% original, Bahia Red/Black

1974 914 2.0 Yellow/Black

2006 Cayman S Artic Silver/Terrecotta (Pending)

When you think in you're in full control, you're just not driving fast enough

I am currently with Hagerty but when I wanted to raise the value on my car they said their info did not support it and they would require a formal appraisal. Their service is good and prices competitive but that put me off a bit given the rising early P car market. I am now going over to Grundy as they are a bit cheaper and accepted my higher stated value without question.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

I concur with boxster03. I was with Hagarty until they started raising rates beyond other comparable companies. Maybe coincided with their sponsorship of BJ Auctions and other car programs on SpeedTV.

I'm with Grundy now.

However, I have no experience with damage collection (knock on wood).

Sherwood

".....that is to say that they have nothing to do with the rates."

.....except for the profits rolled into the rates. I assume Hagarty's advertising, marketing, overhead budgets and bottom line are funded by these profits. They are a for-profit venture, yes?

I would also assume that because of the demographics of those owning classic cars and the reduced damage exposure risk, the profits on classic car, agreed-value insurance is a bit higher than regular "stated value" coverage.

Sherwood

I'm with Hagerty and my yearly premium is under $300. This is incredibly cheap to me (less than the cost of an orange hood emblem anyway ). I raised the agreed value of my 71T to $40K with no questions asked.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer
    I'm with Hagerty and my yearly premium is under $300. This is incredibly cheap to me
    I'm in agreement with Curt on the reasonable cost of Hagarty. I recently sent them business for a vintage P-car, BMW Bavaria and an R69S. They accepted my values without issue (they're market savvy) and the whole transaction was first class. Two 356ers I know of who have had the misfortune of claim situations speak very highly of their customer service experiences.

Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

Parish Heacock ? Nah !

>I use both State Farm and Parish Heacock (Heacock Classic now). Heacocks Gary Gandy is a fellow memeber and owner of a very neat early car (actually its featured on his business card !). Very nice guy too!

Well, I have a friend - multiple 356 owner - who wrapped his 356C around a tree recently and he was swearing by Parish heacock until then...
    They were awful... They lowballed him on everything, refused to replace some parts that should have been replaced, I mean it was a terrible experience all around and he had to fight them for every penny... I've never heard THAT from Hagerty claims... So I'd stick with Hagerty if I were you..

If you want first hand details, let me know, I'll have him post here !

I've also heard Sneed is alright, same as hagerty but you CAN drive to work on occasion to show off your toy !