Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on buying this SC

Advice on buying this SC

My brother emailed asking for advice on this 911SC he is considering on Craiglist:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/car/404639306.html

Car seems overpriced to me, but I was wondering what others thought was the price premium to be paid for such a stock, low-miles example. Thanks for your input,
    SCOTT

nice but $$

Looks nice. One would have to be a bigtime fan of color combo, but a 76k miler for $24k would seem to me, to be about $5k too much, even if all paperwork and records were good. I would have thought that a 30k miler would be fetching prices like that. Over on pelican, with $18-$20k you would have the pick of the bunch, and there are a lot out there. Make sure he finds the color combo he wants, and the ownership/records as well, plus PPI.
    I would personally go for a high miler, that was loved and looked after, for les money.
    Karl.
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

83 was the last year for the 3.0L. The 84 to 86s are alot nicer because of the low end torque. 87 was the first year for the G50 and wider wheels. I recently sold a 78K 86 for half the price of this one since it had a few spots that needed touching up. Handled and ran like a new car. It did have some help from a Steve Wong chip, cat bypass and SS muffler. Even after the upgrades I was bored. The early cars are where the fun is.
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

Mighty pricey in my opinion and would be VERY hard to get your money back from if you decided to move on to a 3.2 or early car.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    RIDICULOUS!

I saw an ad for an SC with 88,000 miles for $11,000 in the Trade Express a couple weeks ago.

Spending over $12,000 for an SC in California is retarded, er, developmentally-challenged.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

I've seen some pretty nice cars with broken head studs. I always recommend pulling the lower valve covers on SCs....especially the later ones.

A tad overpriced too.
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

Thank you for the responses -- it confirms my opinion that it was a high list price... my brother likes the tan / tan combo -- i only like black interiors myself so I would pass, but he is test driving it this week. If he likes it, he will make an offer, but well below the asking price (we shall see how eager they are to sell it).

Quote Originally Posted by SandyI
    RIDICULOUS!

I saw an ad for an SC with 88,000 miles for $11,000 in the Trade Express a couple weeks ago.

Spending over $12,000 for an SC in California is retarded, er, developmentally-challenged.
    In my experience, the supposed $10-12k excellent condition, low mileage SC is a pink unicorn. They may be advertised as such, but when you show up to go over them, they turn out to be beat-down POS. Of course, YMMV. That car seem to be a ~$19k or so car. I think the color combo is not good for resale, and I would prefer a cab. If your friend is set on those colors, he is likely to have a very hard time finding a nicer car though...
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by 911scfanatic
    In my experience, the supposed $10-12k excellent condition, low mileage SC is a pink unicorn. They may be advertised as such, but when you show up to go over them, they turn out to be beat-down POS. Of course, YMMV. That car seem to be a ~$19k or so car.
    So if you call a quality So Cal SC selling for $12,000 a pink unicorn, what do you call a Carrera that sells for $16,000? Orange elephant?

I have a term for someone who spends $19,000 on an SC -- Sucker.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

i think Bill's point is valid and well stated.

i think $10k SC's in great shape are like realtors with a conscience. most people would agree that there may be a few out there but in general it's not the case.

i have heard from car people that the premium paid for condition is a variable of location. this can have an effect on perceived price/quality relationships.

IMO the car would be priced to sell at $15k. at $19k they're holding out for somebody that wants that color. at $24k they're fishing for suckers. IMO.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!