Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RSR Replica wanted... Now found!

RSR Replica wanted... Now found!

A couple of weeks ago I posted '72/73 RSR replica wanted' on the forum, not realising for a moment that it would be the start of a great adventure.

Within 24 hours I had received offers of hot rods and 74 IROC reps, but among them was a car that leapt out of my computer at me, a car I had only dreamed of. Within 48 hours of the original post I had been sent over 40 photographs of the car and its creation and history, I rang the owner and we just clicked, so the next day I jumped on a plane and flew from London to Phoenix, Arizona!

It was the longest flight ever.... not for the distance, but because of the excitement! I took with me Neil Bainbridge the UK's leading expert on the RSR, and after an overnight stay in Phoenix we hit the road and drove out into the desert. There in a small community an hour from the city sat the car in its purpose built garage, but there more importantly we met the nicest man you could wish to meet, Gib Bosworth, together with his charming wife Edy.

Within minutes I knew it was the car for me, and we spent a next few hours just chatting about Porsche's and getting to know each other. The deal was done and already we started making plans for the future.

To cut a long story short, Gibs car is going to stay as he intended, a re-creation of the 107 Martini Targa Florio car, but now it will undergo its next stage of development with twin plugging, alterations to the hood design and so on.

Gib and I came to the obvious conclusion that the car will go to Sicily for the Targo Florio re-run and Gib will be there to see the conclusion to all his hard work.

As we left Gib's ranch and headed up into the mountains, to take in the great views and sample a bowl of the local chilli before heading back to the airport, I knew that not only had I bought a wonderful car, but that I had made a wonderful new friend, and I know we are going to share many more adventures together. Thanks to the Early 911 Registry for making it happen.

cheers, Mike
    Member#1664
    1972 911 S/RSR to Martini Prototype specification
    http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15294

Mike

Many congratulations. Looks a stunning car. Can't wait to see it in the flesh. Pity you missed the DDK Scottish Highland Tour but now I see why and I can understand your how excited you were. You and Neil look to have had a great trip. (not quite as sunny in Arizona as the Highlands though )

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Can't wait to see it Mike, or should I say Jimi!!

It's a stunner. Many congrats

Chris

Wow! Are you kidding? Congrats! I saved that article from the October 2006 edition of Excellence. I'm green with envy.

Rodney

Mike:

Thanks for the kind comments. I am excited about your plans for the car, and Edy and I will plan to come over for the Targa Florio Classic next year.

While it was a little surprising to have Mike and Neil fly over on such short notice, it was truly a delight to experience their enthusiasm and knowledge of the RSRs. I was a little intimidated by such an RSR expert as Neil coming along, but he is easy to be around (unlike many mechanics). Mike and I had talked several times before they arrived, and I knew I was dealing with a very gracious, trustworthy chap, and we became instant friends.

It does make you realize how the passion for early 911s is a world wide "disease", and talking details of 70s era RSRs is like a universal language. I am truly looking forward to following the continued development of this 72S-RSR Prototype as Mike and Neil prepare it for vintage events.

Gib Bosworth
    R Gruppe 17
    EarlySReg. 434
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Hi Mike,
    As a close friend of Gibs I can assure you that you got a great, well built car. Gib, based on your comments about Mike and his intentions for the car, (the type of guy he is and his plan to run it in Vintage European Rallys,) I think it really went to the right home.

Mike, I hope you enjoy the Martini car tremendously...and Gib...I hope you and Edy can make it to next year's Vintage Targo Florio to view this beautiful car that you've now transferred the care of to Mike...and I think Mike's plans to further upgrade it are great!

As an early "S" race car owner...I know that I (and all of us) would appreciate finding a new owner like Mike if/when we ever decide to sell.

Mike, best of luck with the car. Please keep us updated on it.

Rich
    Richard Sutliffe

Mike,
    Congrats, looks like a great car.
    Phil

Thumbs up

Mike,

Ya'got'a hell of a car from a guy who knew how to build it right...

Congrats to both of'ya.......

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

That's an incredible looking car Love the fender work and wheels.

Congrats to the new buyer and to the seller for building such a beautiful car!

Congratulation Mike and can I just say that I have sent you a cheque in the post (for the refund on the Scottish trip) which will go a long way to paying for that beautiful car
    Brendan