Thread: T to 200HP. 2.4T or 2.2T

T to 200HP. 2.4T or 2.2T

Being the purpose to have a pre impact bumper period inside/out +-200HP 911, and not having budget to buy a USD 70 k "S" car for the usage intended. Car will be used on trackdays, regularity rallyes and short fast weekend strolls.

What will be the difference in the overall motor performance mods budget starting from a 2.2T than from a 2.4T to get to the desired +-200HP.? A rough estimate will surely do.

Brakes and suspension upgrades me thinks will cost the same in both, Am I wrong?

Need to know in order to pursue 2.2Ts or not. Initially will not like to have to buy the car and another motor to upgrade.

Thanks,
    Early S Reg. #1263
    72´911E
    95´993
    02´986S

Getting a 2.2, short stroke motor, to 200 hp makes for a fun, high reving motor. I think you will have to increase the displacement but not the stroke to get the the 200 hp range. A 2.4 is the same as a 2.2 but with a longer stroke. Increase the boar, the compression a hotter cam and bigger intake will get you there and put a big smile on your face. Many people on this board and others have done exactly this and can provide you with details.

Good luck

Chris,
    73 911 E

Nothing wrong with small, high-rpm engines, but starting with a 2.4 will get you closer to 200 hp with less drama. More importantly, the torque from a larger displacement engine will get you from point A to point B in less time.

Sherwood

Can you guys give me a rundown on the details starting with a 2.4T motor with webers.
    Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

"Can you guys give me a rundown on the details starting with a 2.4T motor with webers."

I'll start with generalities.

Increase compression ratio
    Increase valve lift and duration
    Provide adequate air paths for intake and exhaust along with the proper A/F ratios.

It all has to do with increasing the efficiency of the air pump (engine).

All other modifications either support or allow the above to occur with longevity.

In terms of specifics, there's more opinion as to what exact products accomplish those goals. The usual setup:

Webers are fine, but set up/rejetted accordingly
    Your early heat exchangers are fine. Muffler will make a small difference.
    S cams or equiv.
    90mm p/c in regular or high compression versions
    Attention to detail

That should net you around 200.

Sherwood

Thanks Sherwood

That's just what I was needing, nothing too specific but an overview of the project. Time to start reading.

Thanks
    Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    Early S reg. #681

what's the comment on these

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=350057

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    Early S reg. #681

Desireable, not common, maybe even not readily available. I'd get them.

Sherwood

Thanks for the answers.

Then apparently is much easier to start and also will provide a flatter curve starting from a 2.4T motor, which narrows the search making things even more complicated....less to choose from..

Any 2.2T upgrade to 200HP car owner opinion?
    Early S Reg. #1263
    72´911E
    95´993
    02´986S

I did this exact mod

I had have a 72 2.4T. When I bought it, it had been rebuilt with 2.2 "T" P & C's. However, the car smoked - something was wrong.

The engine was rebuilt with used 2.4 S cylinders and new JE 9.5:1 domed pistons. Also used S spec GE cams. The output is now approx 200HP and is very driveable (3rd gear is absolutley heaven!). The only down side was that since the HP was so much higher I had to eventually add a front oil cooler. Before the addition, the car would get up to 220 to 230 deg f on warm days. Now, I can't get it to 200 no matter how hard I try.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

David