Thread: was there a factory wire mesh screen for the Cibie hood light?

was there a factory wire mesh screen for the Cibie hood light?

Hi

I was wondering if there ever was a factory wire mesh cover for the hood mounted lights ?

I have seen many that have had good sized rock chips in the glass,

thanks for the info

Dave

Dave

Not exactly wire but I think these were an option...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Looks like you have a fog type concave lens in those lights, rather than the typical "clear driving" lens w/ a convex lens. I don't think those covers would work on the usual convex lens we see. I'm going to put a sheet of clear film over mine sometime soon.

Eric

Eric

Not my lights! The concave shape and the asking price were enough to put me off those covers! I'm with you on the clear film until someone makes a reasonably priced yellow cover.

I bought some protective film (about 3mm thick) for my H1's and will do the same for the Cibies I think
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

If anyone needs some wire mesh you can try here:

sheet mesh

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    Looks like you have a fog type concave lens in those lights, rather than the typical "clear driving" lens w/ a convex lens. I don't think those covers would work on the usual convex lens we see. I'm going to put a sheet of clear film over mine sometime soon.

Eric
    Turn the covers over, mount the tabs the other cover surface and they will fit a convex lens.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

I was running hood mounted cibis on my car for a few years with the stock convex lenses. I got a number of rock ships in them. I made some wire guard inserts the fit in my trim rings to achieve the effect you are asking about. The wire guards are slightly convex. I actually use flat lensed modern lights in my cibie bodies that give much better light. The flat lens surface gives a little more clearance for the wire guards. I'm not sure if the wire guard would work with a stock convex lens.

You can see the guards in the picture below.
    Brooke
    1969 911 ST w/ 2.8SS
    1973 911 RS tribute with 3.3 turbo
    1970 914-6 w/ 2.2S (sold)
    1972 BMW M2 (sold)
    R Gruppe #338
    S Reg # 855

I've been looking for fog / driving-light rock-guards like that for years........without success. I've always wondered why the aftermarket 356 style mesh grilles for headlights, ( photo #1 ) didn't continue into the 911 era, and why no one thought to make them for Cibie or Marshal lights.

In Nov. '09 some friends schlepped me along to Las Vegas to the SEMA show, where I made a point to take photos of displays that I simply knew I had to have for future reference.

Case in point, the polished, stainless steel, hand-made mesh grilles ( photo #2, samples shown were custom re-placements for KIA grilles ) appear to be made exactly along the lines of the 356 headlight guards. It probably wouldn't be a big challenge at all to give them the correct "dome" shape to fit the Cibies and attach some mounting tabs for a proper, more permanent installation. The salesman assured me they have a wide choice of wire diameter for the "border frame" available, as well as a large selection of mesh patterns, thickness, opening size, and can accommodate virtually any shape.

I've also thought about discussing an engine lid grille and some horn-grille mesh inserts for Ruprecht at the same time with them.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

These are other type of after market vintage grilles, used for Marchal fog/driving lights:

I just found a better picture of the ones I made.
    Brooke
    1969 911 ST w/ 2.8SS
    1973 911 RS tribute with 3.3 turbo
    1970 914-6 w/ 2.2S (sold)
    1972 BMW M2 (sold)
    R Gruppe #338
    S Reg # 855